Sunday, January 4, 2015

Happy New Year!

Here we are - the first Sunday in 2015! This week I finaly "got my brushes wet" and started a little painting. I decided to work with watercolor pencils and watercolor together - just for fun.

Here is the beginning...


Don't let the pale colors decieve you. Once you get the watercolor pencils wet, the color is much more vibrant. If you use an artist grade watercolor pencil, you can also move the color around just like watercolor paint. You can even use a wet brush on the tip of the pencil to pick up some color. Oh, yes - those pencils are fun!

(*cough*  I could show you how intense the colors become when water is added, except I got really excited about adding some washes of color to the background that I forgot to take a photo... so....)

Here is the little painting after adding a bit of color to the background.


Definitely very much a work in progress - and no doubt it will have a LOT of significant changes as I try a little of this and that - "just to see what happens" as a friend says. Unpredictability is an exciting part of painting with watercolor!

One great way to jump start your creativity, is to try something new - like watercolor pencils. Another is to do something fun - or funny. A friend of mine shared this little exercise on facebook. It sounded fun - and simple.

Step one. Draw a box 5 inches square. Now fill the box with as many animals as you can draw in five minutes.
Step two. Draw a box 5 inches square and spend five minutes letting all the critters out of the box.

Lots of possibilities! This is what mine looks like.


Step one on the left, step two on the right.

There you go - a little frenzy of sketching fun. I admit, though - I did take a little longer than five minutes. I was too lazy to set a timer... Hey - and I still color outside the lines!

Happy creating!

God bless you all in 2015,
Kathy

I will bless the Lord at all times: His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
Psalm 34:1

16 comments:

  1. Happy new year to you and your family Kathy! I love watercolour pencils - they last a long time and are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! They really are versatile! and just plain fun, too =)

      Delete
  2. Kathy, Glad you got your brushes wet. Beautiful flower.
    What a fun challenge! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! Love your answer to the challenge!!!

      Delete
  3. So glad you finally got to play! Love the flower, fun to mix it up with wc pencils. The exercise is great! I can identify all those critters! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee! Haha - glad someone could make out my scribbles!

      Delete
  4. That is a gorgeous flower, I also love my watercolor pencils

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marlene! Your colored pencil drawings are wonderful!

      Delete
  5. I recieved watercolor pencils for christmas. I cant wait to use them. I love the box exercise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, Kim! Have fun! Thanks - it was a lot of fun to do.

      Delete
  6. Yay! You're back to blogging and painting! Your flower turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I missed blogging a lot!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year! Love your painting. And I am in awe of you quick sketches. So glad you are back in the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Me, too - I missed blogging and checking out my friend's blogs, too. Lots of catching up to do!

      Delete
  8. I really, really need to get my watercolor pencils out of the box! Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed them - there is so much you can do with them! I did see that there were lots of tutorials with great ideas online, too. *nidge*nudge* to both of us!!!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails