Sunday, June 22, 2014

politics smolitics

Dear brothers and sisters in Jesus Christ - this one's for you... and a few bazillion other people.*

Is there anyone besides me who has had their fill of snarky instagrams and multitudinous negative comments? Especially when they are aimed at specific individuals?

But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed.
And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled,
 
And, especially when there is no substance except snarky comments meant to irritate people who like the individual?

but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you,
 
Is there a line drawn in the sand that says meaningless and empty critical comments are okay if I dislike the person and not okay if I like the person?
 

yet with gentleness and reverence;
 
It's fine to disagree with certain politics, oppose a certain cause, dislike a certain spiritual point of view - but ridicule another for ridicule's sake?**
 
and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered,
those who revile your good behavior in Christ will be put to shame.***
 
Imagine what would happen if we showed some respect for people with differing viewpoints? I'm not saying that we have to put aside our passion and embrace every opposing viewpoint we come across.
 
Let's give reasons for what we believe, instead of ridicule.
Let's open up dialog instead of spewing disparaging remarks.
Let's be Christ like in the ways that we disagree.
 
Stepping down off my soap box,
Kathy
 
*If you disagree with my faith and/or my political views and you still read my whole blog post, I want to give you a ginormous (((cyber hug)))! Thank you!
 
**I am staunchly opposed to many of the policies of this current president and congress - but I am also disgusted by the continual flow of empty ridicule surrounding them. For goodness sake, say something about why you disagree besides "they are stupid".
 
***1 Peter 3:14-16



10 comments:

  1. I tell folks to do something about whatever it is they don't like! Get out and vote if the politics are not to their liking! At the very least, pray!!! "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." 2Ch 7:14

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! 2Ch 7:14 tells us exactly what to do!

      Delete
  2. Great post, Kathleen! Amen to all of it!!! Thanks again for speaking plainly and doing it so eloquently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just have to hop on the soap box every now and then.

      Delete
  3. I am getting sick of seeing politics and stuff like it on facebook! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The political "jabs" are really annoying!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails