Friday, May 16, 2014

Funtry *belch* Friday

It's time to admit it. My dogs have culinary habits that defy reason.

Culprit Number One


With the evidence at her feet, I might add. Now mind you - she just ate breakfast. Good stuff, too. Snarffed it right down. Then... she and Culprit Number Two went outside...


...and headed straight for the Hollyhocks. This is a brand new trend for this year. In years past, I have seen the horses eat them sometimes. Well, mostly Hershey - Billie Jane is a little more picky.

Last I checked, though, these four foots are dogs not horses.


You could not prove it by the "tree trimming" going on with these Hollyhocks! Yes, I admit that I didn't stop them. I would have to trim these anyway as this isn't the best place for them to be. I will be able to enjoy their blooms in a variety of other places - since Hollyhocks abound here.

I am baffled by the sudden culinary interest, though. Not that they don't have others that defy reason, but they are a bit more canine like. You know - the ones that spawn the black-lip-dog-jokes... the ones that start and end with P and have ewie-oo in the middle...

But Hollyhocks? Seriously.

They had better stay away from my iris!


I get a little picky about these! These are from ones that my Dad and I planted in the 1950s and they are my favorites. Every year when they bloom, it's a special "down memory lane" time for me. Today was my Dad's birthday - so it's very fitting that I should share these with you all! Dad was quite a gardener. Hmmm.... and he loved dogs. And he never planted Hollyhocks... Hmmmm....

The iris aren't the only things that have sent me down memory lane this week. In all my cleaning up and clearing out, I found this little gem.


That was a fun concert! *cough* umpty-ump years ago...

Now I wonder what I will find in this pile of photographs...

Happy Funtry Friday!
Blessings,
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blast from the past...love the iris! Ts beautiful and screams "paint me"!
    We have hollyhocks here but I've never seen the dogs even slightly interested in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - you are welcome! It does scream paint me - I have painted them before and I am sure I will again! This is the first year the dogs have demolished the hollyhocks. lol Not sure why...

      Delete
  2. What a sweet memory of you and your Dad! The iris is beautiful!
    Your dogs sure seem to find the hollyhocks tasty :)
    I wish Sammy wouldn't nibble on my bamboo plant...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Dad and I both loved to garden. Many of his plants are still thriving at my sister's house.
      My goodness! My neighbor has bamboo and her dogs show no interest. Fascinating what they will do!

      Delete
  3. Might they have taken notice of the horses and plan on mowing the lawn this year? Once again, thanks for sharing your Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - possibly! They have been nibbling a few other bits of the lawn left in their yard. Maybe they resented me digging up the foxtails.

      Delete
  4. Oh, gorgeous iris. They were one of my mom's favorites also. Bad doggies, Love hollyhocks and have many fond memories of making hollyhock dolls when I was a child. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I will have some flowers out front to make the dolls. I have never done that and would like to give it a try. It's possible that the hollyhocks will grow down south, so that could become a new tradition.

      Delete
  5. I love hollyhocks. My grandma used to make me hollyhock dolls. Your iris are beautiful! I hope you can take them with you when you move and transplant them. Ha.Ha. The Monkees!! I had the worst school girl crush on Davy. Just TOO cute!! My parents did not appreciate their music, but I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never had them growing up, but I have heard of the hollyhock dolls and would like to try making them.
      Thank you! I love this variety - such a beautiful blossom. I plan to take some down to the new house as soon as someone is living there full time.
      LOL - My parents patiently let me watch their show every week! They sure did love us!

      Delete
  6. Who knew that dogs like hollyhocks! Hee hee! Silly dogs! My grandma had iris so it always reminds me of her too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Of course these are very unique and special rescue doggies! ;-) Their habits are bound to be out of this world! lol I'm glad they didn't eat our "memory flowers"!

      Delete
  7. Oh.My.Goodness! I still have my program too! And I have the "award winning" poem I wrote for English class about this particular concert, along with the memory of my bestest friend having the stuffing knocked out of her because I caught the hat! Great memories - well, most of it anyway, the injuries could have been left out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mwahahaha! My first thought when I found this was "I wonder if Karin still has hers." LOL That was quite the fat lip! Nice catch, though!

      Delete
  8. My dad loved gardening too. He brought back Hollyhock seeds from Bahrain and grew them. I have some of the seeds but nowhere to grow them. Maybe someday

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dad loved gardening too. He brought back Hollyhock seeds from Bahrain and grew them. I have some of the seeds but nowhere to grow them. Maybe someday

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad was a gardener too! He brought back hollyhock seeds from Bahrain when he worked over there and grew many of them. Never knew dogs would eat them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome! It would be fun to grow those seeds! This is the first year that the dogs have eaten them - not sure why. LOL

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails