Sunday, May 11, 2014

Fix thyself! A Mother's Day Parable...

Seriously, would someone please tell me why I decide to do these projects? Why, oh why, oh why! And why do I think that I have everything on hand...?
And why do I think that everything will jump into place *poof* and be finished in half the time I thought it would?

Seriously!

I mean, look at all this stuff. Surely all of this can assemble itself into one lamp, right?


How about adding some stuff from the hardware store? Yeah - that will take care of the job!


Fix Thyself!

Look, I will give you some tools...


Never mind that I will have to go looking for some other tools and never find one of the perfect tools for this job. Never mind that some of the stuff from the hardware store isn't going to work. Doh! Never mind that this lamp is not cooperating with it's needed repair!

Never mind!

Perseverance. Yep, I have a little bit of that in me.  I won't tell you how many times I put together the same parts. I won't tell you how many parts I had to chase as they rolled away on the floor. And I won't tell you how many parts are left over...

I will tell you that finally the light bulb went on!


And when it did, I realized why lamps cost so much.

Their bulbs are not bent sideways...



But this one sure has a lot of character and quite a bit of history, too, so bent or not, I think it's light is pretty cool.

I also think that pretty well sums up what my Mom thought about raising her first born crazy child. I'd say she did a darn good job, too - from this side of the light switch! The light still comes on and there are still echoes of her wisdom that brighten up my life.

Mom all dressed up for a play she was in during college.

And she was the only person I know who looked good in aluminum foil!
 
She opens her mouth in wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
Proverbs 31:26
 
Happy Mother's Day!
Blessings,
Kathy


10 comments:

  1. Left over parts give me a chill :D let there be light! The lamp works and has character too. Happy Mother's Day! And if the harp fits, go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the lamp has a definite wobble... I think I missed a little washer or something. Totally! I'm shoving a little cardboard under the cloud and I'm sure the harp will fit then. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great repair, you done good. Your mom is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marlene! She was beautiful inside and out.

      Delete
  3. impressive persistence!
    Your mom's beauty shines through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And, thank you, again!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. =) Yes, she was! Glad you knew her!

      Delete
  5. You always have the best posts Kathy :) So great to see the light on and so great to see your mom...in tinfoil...lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate that a lot! Mom was a lot of fun - she was in several plays during high school and college. Later she was active with the local Little Theater, too.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails