Sunday, February 9, 2014

Just a whisper...

Well, I made it to church today - but I left my singing voice tucked away at home. Since the cough which has dragged on and on seems to get worse when I talk, I figured that singing would do the same thing so I silently "whispered" the words of our songs today.

Just a few words into the first hymn, and I was struck with a lightening bolt thought.

In many countries it is illegal to do what I was doing this morning. It is illegal to gather together and worship, read the Bible, and share the love of Jesus. When those who love the Lord gather in these countries, they do so quietly and sometimes with whispered hymns and memorized Scripture. They often gather knowing that they risk their lives.

What would make them do that?
 
Love.
 
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16
 
Whispering the words this morning, made me think of my brothers and sisters in Christ who suffer persecution. It made me appreciate their steadfast faith and reminded me of the love for the Lord that we all share.
 
For details about their day to day lives, visit Voice of the Martyrs at Persecution.com
 
Sharing the Love,
Kathy
 

I was inspired to create this blog post in answer to Sharla's challenge for the Blogging Business Artisans.

February- BeadedTail - Love
Love is celebrated this month so show us what you love! Whether it's time with family, spring around the corner, food or furbabies, create something that shows us what you love!

15 comments:

  1. I love your take on this topic! I do hope your coughing gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharla! Your challenge inspired me to really think about love in all its various meanings.

      Delete
  2. I sometimes have to mouth or whisper in lieu of making a joyful noise, so I know how you feel. I have many books and articles from Voice of the Martyrs and they always remind me how blessed we are here in the USA! Our Pastor has been teaching about keeping your faith during persecution (see, e.g. 1 Peter!) and he always reminds us that those of us who are fortunate enough to have been born and lived a lifetime in this great country cannot even imagine what real persecution is! We may get a door slammed in our face or have a loved one or friend tell us they don't want to hear any more of our "religious nonsense," but that is nothing compared to what some people go through! Oops - I guess I'll get down off my soapbox now! Thanks for bringing this topic to your blog, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Karin! Same soapbox where you will frequently find me!

      Delete
  3. Hope you get your voice back soon. God hears our whispers -- even the silent ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So very, very true - and I praise Him that He does!

      Delete
  4. Lovely, well said, Kathy! Feel better soon ((hugs))
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Even with the cough, I do feel much better than I did!

      Delete
  5. Hope by now you've gotten rid of the cough. You were sick for so long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly gone - lol - and my voice is all the way back! Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful post. It is so easy to take our religious freedoms for granted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is. And a country with out a basic freedom like this is not a country with true freedom.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails