Sunday, February 2, 2014

Family

Oh, gracious - the fun of going through old family photos! You just never know what little gems you will find.

Something like this, maybe?

Isn't she pretty? This is my Nana - my mom's mother.

And look at these two cuties. That's me on the left, and my darling sister... who is sticking her tongue out at me? Huh...


Well, here she is being angelic.

There are some photos that mark milestone events. Like the time my left handed father broke his left arm and learned to write with his right hand. He could use either hand very well all his life, but he went back to writing with his left hand as soon as that arm healed. The sweet young lady next to him is his sister - the one he went to war to protect.


There aren't a lot of photographs of Mom on stage, but she was in several plays in high school and college. Mom is seated at the table reading a book. I'm not sure who her character was, but the play was "Night Must Fall".


Then there are the very rare images. This is possibly the only photograph there is of Nana's father - my great-grandfather.


Family. We are such an interesting group of individuals whose lives have been sewn together by births, marriages, and adoption.


Sometimes the stitches are a little frayed, and some parts need gentle care and tender patching - but there we are. Offering that "tender loving care" even when it isn't wanted - or can't be understood.

That is part of adoption, because quite often the hurts run too deep for words. Shannon shares it so well, doesn't she?

Interesting that we are called children of God - by adoption.

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again,
but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons
by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!"
Romans 8:15
 
Maybe some of our daily struggles are because we have trouble grasping the love of the Father who has adopted us. The Father who calls to us, even when we don't listen. The Father who faithfully waits for us to come to Him.
 
Resting in the Father's arms,
Kathy
 

 

19 comments:

  1. What treasured family photos! Love the one of you and your sister :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad my parents took lots of photos.

      Delete
  2. Super photos! It's wonderful to have all those memories rush back from little pieces of paper :D Ahh sisters! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So very true! haha - sisters, indeed! LOL

      Delete
  3. Awesome photos! I just love old family photos! Knowing you two, I would be willing to bet that you had probably encouraged your sister to taste a dandelion or something and that is what the funny tongue face is! But then, maybe she really is sticking her tongue out at you! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Now, now - I suggested that she do lots of things, but I was wise enough not to do them to her - for the most part. LOL

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos!! What a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww...thanks. I used my "scandalous panty potholder" yesterday...so glad to be part of your family, friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! Nana would have been delighted to know you enjoy her *blush* potholder! You should have seen her grin when she made those! LOL

      Delete
  6. I love old photos! These are such treasures!
    Families are woven together in many ways.
    God is the Master Weaver.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To this day, I still stick my tongue out at my sister every chance I get. Practice makes perfect you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busted! LOL Lots of photos coming your way the next time we visit!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing your photos! It's so fun looking at old photos! The not so old photo of Sophia is sweet too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you enjoyed them! =)

      Delete
  9. I love being able to find photographs for people in our museum archives; they are so happy and grateful. Good feelings all 'round. {:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been wonderful to locate some of these wonderful photos. I bet doing that all the time for people would be lots of fun! =)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails