Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Resolutions?

Happy New Year - and welcome to my New Year's Resolution Free Zone.


This is not on any "to do" list that I have ever made.

You will not find a list of resolutions I plan to keep.
You will not find a suggestion of ways to make a list of resolutions you plan to do.
You will not find a bucket full of ways to forgive yourself when you don't keep your resolutions.

Nope.
Not one.
None!

Why?
Why don't I dive into the new year with a wagon load of resolutions pulled by an overdose of gumption?

Because.
Well, not "just because".
Rather, because I resolve to do things all year long. Sometimes it's a thing I resolve to do until it's finished, and sometimes I resolve to do something by a certain date. But I never pick January 1st as a day to make every change I think I need to make for the entire year.

I ask you: "Why would you do that to yourself?" Do you not like you? Would you do that to someone else? Whoa!

And, hey - I'm not suggesting that we should never have any goals for our lives. What I am suggesting is that we dump the "it's-January-1-and-I-have-to....and-to....and-to....NOW". If you are a planner and January 1 is your pivotal day, how about just picking one thing. Just one. And then give yourself a real reasonable time frame to do that thing.

Example? Sure.
Toss the resolution to eat only carrots and loose 25 pounds in two weeks. Instead, make the decision to buy less snack foods and park farther away from the grocery store door. I give the carrot diet two, maybe three days max. Bet you can do the other one a lot longer - and without a deprivation induced cookie coma.

See, to me, a "resolution" should be a change I want to make to my life, that will be so beneficial, I will want it to be a permanent change.

So, welcome to my New Year's Resolution Free Zone - and welcome to carefully planning successful permanent changes for yourself!

Happy New Year Adventures!

Blessings,
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. We need more people on our "bandwagon"!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! We can sit back and relax all the way through January!

      Delete
  3. I don't like official resolutions, either! I do a list of goals to accomplish at some point during the year instead, and it's much easier to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a much more sensible approach - and one which will lead to many more goals accomplished, I am sure!

      Delete
  4. I like it! Goals all through the year is much more manageable for me. Drastic change isn't friendly - unrealistic goals can send you into a funk. I have always thought that a bunch of New Years Resolutions set you up for failure. I know that head stand is out of the question for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!
      Maybe if we were 10 years old???? lol

      Delete
  5. You are so right - drastic resolutions usually fail so quickly! Sustainable goals are way better. I haven't actually come up with any goals for this year yet, but I will be thinking about it within the next couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So very true. I am continuing some long term goals from last year.

      Delete
  6. I don't do resolutions either. Too much stress and I never finish them lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goals are a much better alternative! I have never made resolutions. However, I do choose a word for the year and keep that foremost in my daily walk. This year it is Appreciation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome idea! Cynthia does that, too.

      Delete
  8. I admire your ability to keep setting goals all through the year. Personally, I need the focus (and the quiet after the holiday rush) to take stock and look forward and set goals. I get distracted -- especially during tax season -- so a list of goals and resolutions helps me regain some focus as I nudge myself back on track. Not that I won't reassess midcourse if something is not working---and not that I won't miss the mark on some of my goals. Different strokes for different folks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true - we are all different and different things keep us on track. I find the peace after the Christmas busy-ness is a good time to reflect on past events. Sometimes sharing old family memories has given us ideas for some new fun projects and spurred us on to unexpected goals.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Kathy! I so agree with you. Who needs that kinda stress and unhappiness . One day at a time. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy (stress free!) New Year to you, too!
      Thanks!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails