Wednesday, January 22, 2014

More fun with the grapes!

Remember me telling you about the very fun painting exercises that Caroline Linscott showed us? Well, today when I finally managed to doing a little painting, I decided to revisit the Five Step Painting exercise. The goal is to do a quick watercolor sketch using 5 simple steps. So, I thought out my 5 steps, and proceeded to paint.

Step one - light purple sketch of the basic grape shapes.

 
Step two - darker purple to give more definition to the grape shapes.
 
 
Step three - sketch in the leaves with a light green.
 
 
 
Yikes! That is mega bright green... oh well, on with the sketch...
 
Step four - add definition to the leaves with darker green.
 
 
Also known as totally destroy the leaves! haha Next step, please...
 
Step five - add a little alizarin crimson highlights, just for fun!
 
 
Step six (yes, I color outside the lines, too!) - decide that perhaps more alizarin crimson could only improve the outcome.
 
 
So there is my little Five Step Painting from beginning to end. This little watercolor sketch took 17 minutes to complete - which is just about right for a little warm up exercise.
 
Next time, I will *ahem* pay closer attention when I mix my greens... and plan my shapes for my leaves more carefully.
 
Happy painting!
Blessings,
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. What a fun exercise! I might hve to give it a try in my art journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would be a lot of fun in an art journal and it could easily be done in any media. Have fun!

      Delete
  2. Fun to see this step by step :)
    Grapes always make me think of wine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! haha - well these might be a little better as wine. lol

      Delete
  3. Now I'll be wondering about one of your last works in progress all day. No doubt I have completely forgotten what it was so I'll be doing some reading here in a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I had better hurry up and finish one or two waiting paintings! LOL

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! It was fun and a great way to warm up.

      Delete
  5. Super! I love little exercises like this - sparks so many more ideas! Great Grapes!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So true - I kept thinking what else I could do to the grapes. lol

      Delete
  6. What fun... glad your learning new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to learn new things! Thanks, Pam!

      Delete
  7. Fun! I always do some warm up drawing before I actually draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good thing to do. I often forget to warm up and just dive into a painting. I am enjoying setting aside a little time to play.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoyed it and will probably do it again sometime.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting! The finished grapes look like much more than just 5 steps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is fun to see how these turn out.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails