Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Diving in to some watercolor fun!

Sometimes it's just good to have a flurry of lots of little fun exercises to get back into the painting groove. This week, Caroline Linscott took us through some very fun and simple techniques.  All of them were ones that "loosen up" a watercolor painting - which is really good for me. I am such a detail person that I forget to just let the paint and the water play. 

We painted a landscape with a fun sky and grapes using just five steps. Then we did this very fun technique with saran wrap. Fun!


There were three layers of mountains done with the saran wrap, then another mountain and trees in the foreground. This is my work in progress.

This demonstration of painting clouds was a lot of fun, too.  First you wet the paper and then do a wet into wet wash.


That large brush delivers lots of paint very evenly.


The paint is still very wet here. What luscious rich colors! Now for the clouds...


Using a paper towel, push, dab, twist, and drag your way to clouds!


After your painting is dry, you can go back in and add some detail to the dark areas, create some shadows, and add wash colors to the clouds and the sky - because, after all, "the sky is the limit"!

See why I am always saying that watercolor is so much fun? Happy painting!

Blessings,
Kathy

22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I've been looking for some tutorials on watercoloring. I have some paint but I don't know the first thing to do with watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watercolor is a lot of fun! There are some great online video tutorials, too.

      Delete
  2. Loved your pictures of this process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That plastic wrap trick is amazing! Who knew it could do more than just cover your food :D
    When I painted ceramics I used a sea sponge to create grassy areas, shrubs, flowers and yes, clouds -- never thought of using a paper towel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first try with the plastic wrap - it was fun and I liked how it turned out. I have used a sea sponge, too - but not on clouds. What fun!

      Delete
  4. Oh what fun! I will have to get the paper towel out and give that a try ;) I love wet into wet - so many exciting things happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun! Wet into wet is my favorite, too. When she was working with it, the paint was VERY wet. Have fun!

      Delete
  5. What fun! That is what our art is supposed to be - FUN! And if it brings joy to someone else, so much the better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy seeing your new painting techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember doing these different when I attended art school. They are fun exercises!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had done a couple of the things she showed us, but several I had not done. They are fun exercises!

      Delete
  8. Those clouds are amazing!! I can almost hear the late great Bob Ross saying, "Happy little clouds."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! My photo doesn't do her clouds justice. haha - yes! My daughter and I watched Bob Ross every Saturday morning.

      Delete
  9. Your painting is gorgeous! I love the saran wrap technique :)
    Wish I had more time to try this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a fun technique. If you get the chance, do try it!

      Delete
  10. Fun techniques. Your mountains look great and I love the cloud technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was fun to watch her do these and then try them, too. We all had very different results.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful! Love the saran wrap technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really fun to do that technique!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails