Sunday, December 1, 2013

To "sale" or not to "sale"...

Here we are, in the midst of sale season. A black day, a small business day, a local day, a cyber day - grab your wheel barrow and load it up with your moola or just memorize your credit card number and don't worry because they will raise your limit if you spend "enough". And, hey - if you shop at the smaller local stores or buy online, you probably won't get trampled or whomped by anyone.

Ummmm. What happened to all those (brief) thoughts of thankfulness that were being flung around last week? Ya know what I found out? Canada has started having sales on the USA Black Friday weekend. The frenzy has spread... sorry for the invasion, my Canadian friends - I hope that sanity prevails for all of your shoppers!

What is this compulsion to buy? Why? Ummmm... if you look around there are signs that indicate that there is some vague "holiday" coming up that requires going into debt during repeated frenetic shopping frenzies.

Whatever that "holiday" is, I want nothing to do with it.

I think I will stick with our plain and simple Christmas where the primary focus is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ - the One Who thinks I am precious.

How precious? He paid a very dear price for me - His life. Not so I could buy a lot of stuff for an unknown holiday, but so I could share His love with every gift I give for Christmas.

By the way, He thinks you are that precious, too!

Merry Christmas!
Blessings,
Kathy

For god so loved the world that He gave is only begotten Son
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.
John 3:16



12 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Kathy! We should always remember the reason for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your sentiments, Kathy. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Kathy! It's so true what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kathy--the general public has their priorities in some sad places. It isn't all their fault, the advertising media, and retails stores have made Christmas a travesty of materialism. We are giving very few presents this year and most of them will be hand made. You have written a wonderful post.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy! We usually make a lot of our gifts, too, or buy things that are very useful and not just a marketing gimmick. The celebration of the birth of Jesus is the center of our celebrations and gathering with family is such a blessing for us. Have a Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful post Kathy! Yes the sales are insane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pam! Oh - ugh! I remember well the retail rush. Hope it all goes well for you!

      Delete
  6. It makes me sad to see what is going on now and what Christmas has become. Our gifts are handmade also and have been since - well, let's not go there! LOL!! And what is up with this "happy holiday" business? What holiday are they wishing me a happy one of (is that a sentence?)? I always with reply with a hearty Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I always respond with a Merry Christmas, too - and I often get a big smile in response.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails