Wednesday, December 4, 2013

New brush, add painting, stir in class, and...

Remember this painting?


Well, I've been working on it a little bit - with some new brushes that I got. Oh, don't you just love new toys tools!? The brushes are Loew-Cornell 7020 Ultra Round - a synthetic brush that really does hold the water and keep a nice point. So with my new tools toys ;-) in hand, I grabbed my paints and had some fun.



Remember this painting started as a value study in yellow, then I added a value study in orange, and topped it with a value study in red. Here, I have added more to the red layer in this painting.

Time to get brave and grab the blue!


The wash of blue over the yellow, red, and orange did turn the leaves green. *yay* The darker shadows on the flowers are beginning to take shape, too. Um. A little too much shape. Remember how I was working from a black and white photo for the value study?


Well, I should have switched to working with the color photo somewhere in the middle of the red layer. So, ahem, I changed directions - and grabbed the red paint again and put that on top of the blue.



So now instead of a painting with pure color in successive layers of yellow, orange, red, blue, and green I now have a painting with layers of yellow, orange, red, blue, and red. Some people just color outside the lines. Moving right along...

Then I went to class...


...and had lots more fun coloring outside the lines! After I added the green glaze during class, my teacher, Caroline Linscott, made a few suggestions and *poof* this little painting appeared!

It's going to be fun to see what this ends up looking like!

Hope you are having as much fun with your creative endeavors as I am with mine.

Blessings,
Kathy



22 comments:

  1. Isn't that a beautiful painting?! Love watching the progress, too. Gorgeous background, you are so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A lot of the credit goes to my great teacher. She does spectacular watercolors and is quick to share what she knows.

      Delete
  2. It turned out beautiful, no matter how you got there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun to see what the different colors do when they are added to all the layers.

      Delete
  3. So gorgeous!! You are amazing, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww - thank you! You are pretty amazing, too - so that's a double compliment to me. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I love watching you work. Now that I understand how much work is involved I appreciate it even more. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think more artisans should share the process they go through with their creations. Lots of people would be amazed what goes into producing all kinds of arts and crafts!

      Delete
  5. Very pretty, I am getting inspired to dig out my watercolors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am finding out so many things about watercolor and what you can do with it - tons of fun!

      Delete
  6. Amazing how those layers have evolved -- it's a lovely painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really fun to watch it happen while I was painting, too. I really didn't know exactly how it would look until it was dry.

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful! The work in progress has been so interesting, too. I've only painted properly a few times in my entire life, so I don't always realize how many steps go into something. Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad you are enjoying the work in progress. There are so many different ways to paint - even within one media. I am finding wonderful new things out about watercolor in this class!

      Delete
  8. Amazing! I am in awe of people who can paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! =) I appreciate the compliment.

      Delete
  9. the flowers came out so well. And I like how the coloring on the background.
    Classes are so helpful, huh? {:-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So very true - without the class, this painting would not have happened.

      Delete
  10. beautiful, Kathy!!
    Yes, new toys are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yes, I am really enjoying them! ;-)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails