Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Keeping those brushes wet...

Yes, I know you were expecting to see my rose painting all (or almost) finished. Ummm... nope. It looks just the same, but I did get my apple painting finished.


At least I think it is finished. I may darken the background a little bit more, but I am happy with the lace pattern that I added on the table and I do like the shadow now that I lightened it up a bit. Trying all of these new painting ideas is a lot of fun!

Here is my new little painting from my watercolor class with Caroline Linscott. If you are local to the Prescott, Arizona, area - you should contact her about her classes! There are spaces available.


Caroline has a tremendous amount of knowledge about watercolor techniques, and this week we dove into something that I had never done before. Woohoo - another adventure in painting!

Our reference photograph is a Hollyhock, but we are not painting this Hollyhock by mixing reds, pinks, and greens. We are actually building the colors in a value study and mixing them  optically layer by layer.

 
value study focuses on painting the same color, but adding more paint and less water for the darkest areas and more water and less paint for the lightest areas.

HINT: It was much easier for me to use the black and white photo for the first part of this painting, because I could focus on just the values and not the colors.

The first layer was painted in a bright yellow, the second value study layer was painted in orange (yes, you read that right!), and the next layer was painted in red. The red value layer of paint is painted wherever there is red in the painting. My red value layer isn't quite finished yet, but it is getting there.


Because watercolor is transparent, you now see both the yellow and the orange through the red. The next color I will add will be blue and I will then green. Yes, you heard me right - there will be green right over the top on the darkest values in this painting. If I do it right, you will see all the other colors peeking through. The transparent colors optically mix when they are painted in thin washes of color. I am kind of excited to see how this painting turns out.

So, some artistic hints and a nudge or two:
  • Try something new! Every art form has lots of different approaches - look for a new way to use an old favorite medium.
  • If you are local to Prescott, take a class from Caroline Linscott! If you aren't local, find a great teacher in your area and soak up some new information.
  • And one final great hint... When you photograph your artwork, dust off the dog hairs. Hey, I could have retaken the photo - but I thought it was another good hint. *roflol*
I'm keeping my brushes ane wet learning lots of new things. What are you doing to keep your creative juices flowing? Share your latest artistic adventures in the comments!

Blessings,
Kathy

16 comments:

  1. This is all so interesting. I had no idea there was so much to this. I'm assuming it's all relative to water colors only? I've chosen fabric for my photographs from now on. Now to get that perfect photograph of wood grain so I can print my own frames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, this is relative to watercolors, but you can do a lot of the same techniques with acrylics, too.
      That sounds like a great idea, Jane! Hope you can find some wood that reproduces well!

      Delete
  2. Looking good Kathy, this technique is going to give the painting so much depth. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The finished painting I saw did have a lot of depth - pretty amazing!

      Delete
  3. What fun and so much to learn! Your painting is lovely already - looking forward to the addition of blue and green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine the value study to be difficult, but you are nailing it! It's lovely already and the transparency is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the Hollyhocks! The apple looks yummy. I think you are right about darkening the background a tad, but it's hard to be sure since I am looking at it through the ethernet! The lace is a very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, there isn't quite enough difference in value between the apple and background. lol - even in real life! ;-)

      Delete
  6. You are so talented! The apple turned out great and the hollyhocks are pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Love your new jewelry creations!!!

      Delete
  7. Your apple turned out so great! And what a cool technique with the hollyhocks. These classes sound like lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a lot fun - especially learning new techniques!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful paintings, looks like you are learning a lot! Glad your having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It has been a lot of fun to learn all these new techniques!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails