Sunday, August 11, 2013

Water...

Water. I am a big water drinker. Skip the cola, no daily coffee or tea - even my hot chocolate is not nearly as common as my water. I just happen to like to drink water.

But I don't take it for granted. Several times, I have been without water because when you have a well sometimes that just happens.

Like yesterday. This is what I found early in the morning.


Nifty. Just in case you wondered, the faucet usually works better when the handle is attached. Apparently Billie Jane didn't think it was necessary. Yup - she rubbed on it and snapped it right off. Left side neck, if you are curious - no damage to her except a little hair removal.

Of course, once the faucet doesn't have a handle to turn it off - it is constantly running. Nicely watered weeds...

The fix is to shut the water off. I just turn off the power to the well pump and it sits quietly in the bottom of the well and rests.

I go into the house, and drag out the bottles of water for cooking and washing - grateful for a bit of planning ahead.

For me this is a fairly easy fix. I went to town and bought a new faucet. As soon as that is installed, I will throw the switch and voila - water out of the faucets in the house once again.

For others, clean water is not such an easy matter. I sponsor a child through World Vision. She lives in Africa and one of the things she regularly does is carry water. Sounds sweet, doesn't it. She helps her mother by carrying water for her.

Want the real picture? It is the woman's job to provide water. The water could be two hours away and it could be really nasty because the animals were pooping in the river before she arrived. A gallon of water weighs about 9 pounds. You can't do much with a gallon of water, so women often carry multiple containers that can weigh as much as 100 pounds. Sometimes the women travel through dangerous terrain with both two and four legged predators. Girls often travel with their mothers.  A well with clean water can make all the difference in the lives of African women.

When I have trouble with my well is not the only time I think about the scarcity of clean water. Every time I turn on my faucet and clean water comes out, I remember that many people don't have that luxury. I am grateful to the Lord for his provision - and I pray that one day everyone will have access to clean water as well as the Living Water.

Blessings,
Kathy

Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.' "
John 7:37-38

12 comments:

  1. Ah - we have so much to be thankful for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Amazing what some others deal with on a day to day basis.

      Delete
  3. With the droughts and cities losing their water supply here I wonder how much longer some towns will exist and what will happen down the road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Managing our water supply is definitely an important issue. It really irritates me when I see the amount of water wasted in fountains and decorative "lakes" - especially in desert areas.

      Delete
  4. Every time I turn a faucet on I think of those who can't do that - and it is not limited to "third world" countries - it happens here in the United States as well. And don't EVEN get me started on how much water is wasted - sprinklers going full blast in the rain, or spraying out into the street rather than on the area they need to, etc. What Billie Jane is trying to tell you is that she needs more human scratching time so she will not have to resort to trying to hit that itchy spot with whatever is handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or washing off your sidewalks and driveways instead of sweeping, or washing your car a lot, etc.., etc... Yes, sadly there is a lot of poverty in the United States, also. World Vision and Samaritan's Purse assist here as well as world wide.
      Well, she is not getting her human scratching from me on the midnight shift! LOL

      Delete
  5. We really do take running water for granted. I remember, thought, that at my one-room country schoolhouse, one of our assigned "chores" was to pump water to put in a crock with a spigot. It was a little gross when grasshoppers and frogs came out of the spout. But even that was a blessing compared with the 2-hour dangerous trek through the deserts of Africa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true!
      Oh my goodness - I didn't know they would do that!
      Yes, all things considered - it would be much better.

      Delete
  6. So glad you got your well fixed.
    Your right we are all blessed to have clean water.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails