Friday, August 16, 2013

Funtry Friday - a busy week!


My week started with no water, a rescue by my neighbor, and a return to indoor plumbing with water. Billie Jane was the culprit who sent us all to indoor camping without water. But it is all fixed now - and she is wandering where there are no hydrants to remodel...



The guineas always make me smile. My day often starts with their early appearance and call for breakfast.


It's a good possibility that there is nest in there somewhere. I guess they are glad that the bees don't let me get close enough to cut those weeds - and apparently they and the bees get along fine.

The bees decided to swarm this week. First they went to a bush next to the shed. That dark spot in the middle is the bee hive.


Then they moved to a tree near my back door.



The big arrows show you where the bottom of the bee hive and the top of the bee hive are. The little blurry brown things in the photo are flying bees. I pointed out a few to you. It's pretty cool to see them swarm, but not quite so close. Fortunately, this usually means that the hive is on the move.

And they were on the move. I went out a few hours later to check and see where they were, and I couldn't find them.

But I did find a tree that I thought was dead had come back to life from the deep root. Yay! I love these hardy Cottonwood trees.


And then I found where a snake had shed it's skin and nicely pointed out where it's hole is.


No worries - this one is about a three foot Bull Snake. Happy about that. Still no sight of the bees, so I kept searching.

This little critter is definitely not a bee! I found two half grown little Jackrabbits. They move so fast that it is hard to get a photo of them. This rabbit is in "freeze mode" and my camera is on "zoom mode" - the other little jackrabbit dove for cover.


I see a little rabbit painting in my future!

Still no sign of the wandering bees, so I headed back and caught sight of these lovely wildflowers.


I like the silvery color their leaves have.

And, though there was still no sign of the bees, this critter greeted me on my back porch. Gadfry!


That is the largest rat I have ever seen - and if they get bigger than that, I don't want to know. I have seen mice occasionally, but never a rat (well, except for Chocolate and Chip). It scurried off in a hurry thankfully!
 
It would be nice to end this by saying that the bees are all gone, but they are not. I think that the resident hive just split as they will do that if there is more than one queen bee. But the good news is now there are no swarming bees!
 
And there you go - another week with never a dull moment! Happy Funtry Friday!
 
Blessings,
Kathy
 



18 comments:

  1. Yikes! Way too much adventure for me! Happy you have the water issue resolved and the snakeskin was empty. I'm surprised you see mice and rats, I figure the snake would be taking care of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!
      This was the first rat I have seen since I moved here and the only mouse I have seen this year made an unwise run through the chicken coop...

      Delete
  2. I love it!! Well, I can do without the swarm of bees. Aren't you fortunate you weren't coming out of that door....someone might have come in. I've had that happen with lizards & snakes. Cute rabbit and I'll be waiting & hoping to see some baby guineas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One chased me back to the house - lol - and I was hoping I wouldn't let it inside. *whew* Somehow it stayed outside, dogs stayed inside, and I slipped in the door. That's one of those miracles!
      Well, I'm not going looking for the nest! LOL We will know in a couple of weeks, I am sure.

      Delete
  3. Living on a farm is a constant adventure. Loved the rabbits and guineas, Nervous about the bees and totally freaked by that rat. Glad you have water. Sheesh that was some busy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was totally more busy that I wanted, but the Lord got me through it! It was freaky to see the rat by the back door. I have to say that my first thought was "who lost their pet rat?"! LOL

      Delete
  4. You've had an eventful week!! Water, water everywhere (a few days ago) and not a drop to drink (this week)! Love the wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water, water everywhere - and how glad I am that NO boards did shrink! LOL
      Thanks - lots of wildflowers are blooming since we got a little bit of rain.

      Delete
  5. no, never a dull moment for you! I'm guessing that's mostly a good thing!
    The rabbit will make a great painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - well, sometimes there are a few happenings I would exchange for a dill moment or two! LOL
      Thanks - I was so glad that the little rabbit just sat there for several photos.

      Delete
  6. You keep busy with all kinds of critters, don't you!! A three foot snake of any kind would send me running, and the rat -- I don't know how you had presence of mind to take a pic!! Maybe next week will be less eventful... Oh, and the rabbit will make an adorable painting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Auto pilot. See rat = I think I can blog about this. *roflol* I'm not sure it was really presence of mind and it might be genetic. Though my mother did not blog, she took a photo of a rattlesnake on her porch rail. Freaked us all out!
      I think so, too, and I was much happier photographing the rabbit! lol

      Delete
  7. Kathy, love the rabbit--he looks bigger than our wild one. I am waiting to see the painting--know it will be great! A 3 foot snake skin--nope , don't care what kind it is--beware for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is a jackrabbit and they are bigger than the bunny rabbits. I have a bunny under my shed, but I haven't gotten a good photo yet. lol
      Well, the bull snakes do keep the other snakes away and they are not venomous.

      Delete
  8. I always enjoy seeing your animals. I'm glad that you have indoor plumbing again and hope that you get the bee problem fixed soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's fun to share all the animals.
      Me too! Camping is fun, but I was ready to move into this century. lol
      Going to start calling people this week...

      Delete
  9. Glad you got your water going again! I had to skip the parts about the bees. What a sweet bunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would like to skip the parts about the bees, too. *rolls eyes*

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails