Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The day after...

I found myself visiting my Etsy blogging group - The Blogging Business Artisans - and leaving a long and rambling message in our ongoing chat thread. I realized that I had just written a (sort of) blog post right there...

So, with not much flourish and no links, no double checks to find out the actual numbers, and no searches for extra information, here are my thoughts about yesterday.

As for me out here... This is what was happening in my corner of the world.

The Memorial for the Prescott 19 was yesterday. It was a very moving service with people from all over the world coming to honor both those who died and #20.

#20 - the surviving Hotshot Firefighter - read the Hotshot Prayer at the Memorial. He got a standing ovation from the 6000 inside the Tim's Toyota arena - and a standing ovation from the upwards of 20,000 folks outside.

Some weird people who yell at funerals did show up. (BTW some of them call themselves Baptist, but they are NOT members of any national Baptist organizations or churches - they just dunk (given their policies I dislike to apply the term "baptize") people.) I will say that when 5 of them stand on a corner and yell across the street to where there are around 30,000 people (estimates went that high) they look ridiculous.


Seeing empty parking lots at Costco, Lowes, and other places was eerie. Firefighters came up from Phoenix to take over the Prescott station so that those folks could go to the memorial. Lowes did the same thing and I bet there were a lot of other businesses that did, too.

I survived cooking 5 1/2 dozen eggs for our art guild brunch fundraiser, but we all left earlier than usual. Most folks wanted to either go sit outside in the 100F+ temps to support the firefighters at Tim's, or go to watch the event at other areas, or listen to the radio (what I did). And, btw - the other ladies helping with the brunch did way more than I did - lol - cooking is not my forte so I just panicked way more than they did.

The 6000 seats inside Tim's were all reserved for the families, firefighters, first responders, police, dignitaries, etc.

I have never seen the entire Glassford Hill Rd. closed - from one end of Prescott Valley to the other end. I didn't even try to drive by, which is why I saw all the other empty places on my way home.

It was like everything else just stopped.

Remembering and praying,
Kathy

24 comments:

  1. Kathy a very fitting tribute to the 19. You always say just the right thing. My prayers are for the families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a very sad day, marked by wonderful tributes. There were some other road closures due to Joe Biden making an appearance - flying into Luke and his motorcade driving from there to the site of the memorial service. Now we have to move on and help those families who lost everything - both human loss and tangible losses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true!
      There have been many fundraisers and accounts set up for those who have lost homes and property. So many things have been happening simultaneously that it is hard to keep up with everything. There are many folks who lost everything in the fire and it has been wonderful to see how the community has rallied around them, too.

      Delete
  3. I can't imagine how hard that day was for so many. The ashes of the firefighter from Lake Oswego was flown home today and they shut down the roads for a procession from the airport. They all certainly deserve that tribute.

    As for the so-called Baptists, they've been doing that since I was a kid growing up in Topeka where they're from and I didn't understand it then and I still don't today. The hate they show is beyond comprehension.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to imagine. I agree - and I hope that these tributes are a blessing to the family and friends.

      One thing I heard recently is that they really are a bunch of lawyers who like to sue people who stop them from creating a scene. That possibility makes sense to me. As a Christian, I am sad to see this false pretense of Christianity - this is absolutely not what Jesus Christ would want a Christian to do.

      Delete
  4. Nice tribute, Kathy. Your help, though you may think it was not much, was, I'm sure, indeed appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, such a humbling experience to have everything so quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - and I think that many of us appreciated the quiet during that day.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for reminding me that there still is love, kindness and appreciation in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! Hope that more reminders come your way today.

      Delete
  7. Lovely tribute to those brave firefighters.
    Silence seems appropriate on such an occasion.
    I am always dismayed when people claiming to be religious preach hate. They are false prophets. Love is the message in MY Bible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! It is very disheartening.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  8. That's such a wonderful turnout...they truly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think that was the same weird group that came by for the firefighters that died in West. You described them well. I just saw what Pasque wrote and could not agree more.

    We did have a couple of our own firemen that went to the memorial. When I heard that I cried. I love how people can come together for those they never knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing to see so many firefighters coming from all over the world. What a beautiful tribute!
      They do seem to pop up all over. Someone said that there are groups who copy their signs and aren't really them. Ugh. Enough already!

      Delete
  10. Your corner of the world has been very much in the news and in the prayers of people around the world. It is at the same time terribly sad that these brave firefighters lost their lives and that their families lost them, but it is inspiring to hear about the love and support of all the local people and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely true, Judy! It has been beautiful to watch. The same outreach is being extended to those who lost homes and businesses in Yarnell, too.

      Delete
  11. So sad. I am glad that everyone could attend the funeral. It's good that business wasn't as usual. May they rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing this, Kathy! I think it's wonderful that people stepped in to work so that others could attend the memorial. a sad, tragic event, but such wonderful support lifts the heart and eases the heartache even if just a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! The Costco and Lowes employees said it was a blessing to be able to help the families and friends by coming up to Prescott to work. It has been a blessing to see the community come together for all of those affected by the fire.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails