Sunday, July 28, 2013

Ahhhhh! The quiet country life...

One thing for sure about living in the country - you can make your plans, but you had better accept the fact that they are subject to change at any given moment. Take today for example. I, like many of my neighbors, got up fed our critters, and then drove off to church. After a blessed time of worship, fellowship, and visiting, some drove to town and some drove home.

Well, and some of us tried to drive home only to find that our plans for the day had changed.



 My, my. That is a lot of water. It occurred to me that my pastor had mentioned that they got 3 inches of rain last night in Ashfork. Oh. Add a few hours, and voila. We have the runoff.  So, after texting a few friends and visiting with several people who dropped by the wash (including a funny guy from California who laughed about our Stupid Motorist law), I headed to Chino Valley to visit my sister. We had a nice visit and some lunch.

You may have noticed that is a LOT of water there... water that is not going to dry up quickly...

So, I started calling people to see if they were, as we say, "inside" or "outside". Just about everyone I knew was "outside" except one friend who knew a "dry way" to the "inside". Aha!

Following his directions (incorrectly) I found the road blocked. Nice. (no photo - I was busy turning the truck around.)

So, I went back to look at the wash - yeah, that's what we do around here - and visited some more.


We decided to move our visiting around the corner to a house on the edge of the wash. This is what their backyard looked like today.



 Nice and cool with the breeze coming off the water. They plan to move their garden to a new location... Their compost has already moved.

Then my neighbor called. They figured out the other way "inside" and were almost home. Yay! So our other neighbors and I decided to vacate this...



 ...and head for the dry back road.

I had to totally laugh! We were cracking up about this... No kidding - in all this rain, this is what greeted our eyes just past the first gate as we started down the winding backside dirt road.



Seriously!

My neighbors sent their granddaughter on a quad to guide us through the maze of twists and turns. I had been on this road a long time ago... lol - street signs might help me. Or a map. I had neither. Well, there were a few street signs. Even one I remembered from my ages ago travels.

Dry road, a little mud, some decent ruts, but both my truck and the following car made it safely home. Our Quad Guide made it safely home, too - but totally drenched... it poured rain on us part of the way home. Doh! I owe her some pizza!  (No photos either - I was busy yakking with my neighbor and bouncing over the deep ruts while her hubby followed me in their car.)

Home Sweet Home... with more rain in the forecast.


In spite of the inconvenience, many of us stopped today and took time to thank the Lord for the rain - and for the ability to get home. Our normally quiet roads are full of traffic now as people go to see how the wash looks, stand and visit for awhile, and then head home until the next "wash check". Some people will travel in and out the back road as long as it stays dry, and some people will just "hunker down" until the wash dries up and those roads get cleaned up.

It's all just a part of the quiet country life.

Enjoying being "inside",
Kathy

Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that."
James 4:13-15

18 comments:

  1. Lake front property :) Glad you made it home safely and got to enjoy the day on the "outside" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! LOL - they were joking about the lake front property, too.

      Delete
  2. Time for a big pantry. Do the horses eat canned peaches?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have one! LOL - they prefer watermelon. Bethie will down the peaches gladly, though! haha - if she can get them away from me.

      Delete
  3. Gives new meaning to "doing the wash" :) Glad you found a way back! Bet your critters were happy to see you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, Lee! I have heard traffic all morning as people go from one road to the other. LOL - I am in between the two washed out roads. They were very happy to see me! I am in "hunker down" mode...

      Delete
  4. It's surreal to see flooding like that on roads that you drive every day. I'm glad that you were able to make it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true! I saw the wash before I got to the road so I knew it wouldn't be passable before I got there.
      Thank you - me, too!

      Delete
  5. Do the critters have life vests? LOL! Glad all is well and you made it home safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - no, but I am considering an ark...
      Thanks, me too!

      Delete
  6. As my grandma always used to say, "If the Good Lord's willin' and the creek don't rise." (She pronounced it "krik"--rhymes with stick.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I have often said our version - "Lord willing and the 'crick' don't rise!" More truth than fiction out here and probably "back then", too!

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you found a way home! So how is it going now? We are supposed to be dry most of the week, but I hear that more rain is expected to the east and to the north of us - like, right around where you are! Hunkering is a good thing at times like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, one road is open and I have watched a lot of people head out that way. The back road is still dry, too. This road has a huge amount of damage and will be out of commission for a long time. Rain is in our forecast for Thursday. LOL - hay delivery is in my forecast tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. Wow... so glad you made it home safe. That is a lot of water. When I glanced at the photos earlier today it didn't look like that much, guess I didn't take a big enough glance. So much flooding this year :( Hope it all dries up fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam. These storms do create a lot of water - this is still nothing compared to what you guys had up north! It's soaking in already, and hopefully the next rain will not be as hard.

      Delete
  9. "the best laid plans of mice and men...."
    It seems you and your neighbors made some fun out of the unexpected wash. And you got "treated" to some high adventures!
    glad you made it back "inside" safely!
    (I've seen sprinkler systems on when it's raining. always rather amusing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true! Not sure where the mice were, but the men were playing in the dirt and the water. LOL
      It is funny to see the automatic watering happen during the rain.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails