Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Ah, those dog days of summer...

We went on lots of vacations when I was a child - but we stayed home a lot, too. Both were lots of fun. My sister and I spent endless hours playing in the yard, swimming, splashing in the irrigation (which used to be crystal clear!), romping with our dog, and pulling weeds.

Yes. Pulling weeds. Mom used to pay us by the weed until we found really tiny weeds and presented an armful to her. I remember seeing my fortune evaporate before my very eyes...

This year, my daughter and her family are traveling. Of course I have been keeping them in prayer as they romp across the country in "The Van of Closeness". I started doing a little mental math (scary thought, huh!) and realized that my daughter and her husband are about the age my parents were when we gallivanted all over the place and my oldest granddaughter is the age I was. Whoa!

Well, I still have a few summer events this year to revive memories of the past... Dogs and weeds.


I have the traveler's Greyhounds visiting me. I'm not quite sure what they think of my giant sheep weed.


Are we keeping you awake, Gotcha?


Don't worry, Cookie - Glory has got your back!


Looks like Lova has headed to the open ground.

Hmmmm.... Wonder how much Mom would have paid me to pull those weeds.

Happy summer dreams!
Blessings,
Kathy

The idea for this blog post came from my fun blogging group - Blogging Business Artisans:

July- Sarah -- Magnolia Surprise -- Vacation Time! We are into vacation season in July -- create something that brings back a favorite vacation memory, something that represents a place you've visited or one you'd like to visit, colors or scents associated with a special place, or perhaps something funny that happened on a vacation. Make it fun!!

18 comments:

  1. Such sweet dogs! I hope that your daughter's travels are going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are having a lot of fun.

      Delete
  2. Great dog pics. I used to get paid 25 cents per double row (1/4 mile) for weeding soybeans.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    Wow - that's a lot of weeding! Mom said ten cents a weed - but I think she meant the big huge ones. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your daughter and her family are having a great time just like the dogs are! :) We think Gotcha was asking for more treats Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - no doubt! They really enjoy the dog cookies when they come here. ;-)
      They are having a lot of fun!

      Delete
  5. Tons of weeding and dog fun. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Linda - I did some more weeding this morning... and the dogs got more goodies! lol
      Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Summer vacation is always full, isn't it? I remember swimming, irrigation splashing, herding cows to be milked, and of course sleep-overs (with the requisite junk food) whenever my girlfriends were not gallivanting around the country with their parents! Have fun with the weeds and dogs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mwahahahaha! Ummm... yes, I remember some screaming girls at sleepovers and a bazillion Elvis movies. LOL
      The chickens are enjoying the weeds... I am enjoying the dogs. ;-)

      Delete
  7. What pretty puppies :) I bet you're having fun babysitting.
    I hope your family is having fun on their travels :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fun - adventures and all! The traveling family is having a wonderful time, too.

      Delete
  8. lots of fun excitement for all the animals! vacation for the dogs!
    I bet your daughter and her family are having a wonderful time.
    So you're saying the chickens are doing the weeding for you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Complete with horse TV! LOL
      No, I pull up the weeds and toss them out for them to eat. Those are some from my dog yard.

      Delete
  9. Wow, and to think I pulled weeds for free! When you're a kid summer vacations are fun no matter if you travel or stay at home! There's always something to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Sarah!
      haha - well, paying us was Mom's idea. LOL

      Delete
  10. Too funny... I hope your daughter and her family are having fun traveling! The dogs look happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dogs are all having fun - mostly napping and eating goodies. LOL
      They are back now and they had a wonderful time!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails