Sunday, June 16, 2013

Strawberry goodness

I love strawberries. Yum! I happen to believe that oatmeal exists primarily to be a vehicle for strawberries. Seriously.

Recently I discovered something interesting about strawberries that I had never noticed before. I have always thought that they were a very pretty fruit inside and out. You have all the little seeds against the pretty red on the outside and all these cool white lines in the juicy redness on the inside.


What I had never noticed before was that each one of those white lines comes from a seed on the outside of the strawberry.


A seed that reaches all the way inside the strawberry to the very center.


To the heart of the strawberry.

Words are like that. They land on the outside of people and then they sink right down inside all the way to the heart. How often have I spoken words that left sparkling lines in someone? How often have I spoken words that cut and hurt to the heart? Sometimes hard things have to be said, but saying them gently can change the hardness.

God is like that. He tells us things we want to hear. And He tells us things we need to hear. I'm good with the first - and sometimes grumpy with the second. Please tell me I am not the only one! What I have to let sink into my heart is that He loves me and He wants the best for me.


For God so loved the world that He gave is only begotten Son
that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
John 3:16
 

 Best.

My turn now - my turn to remember that my words need to be sweet like strawberries and gently reflect the Best that the Father has to offer.

Off to munch a strawberry or two,
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. I hadn't noticed that before!
    Words are indeed powerful. We should all choose with care...
    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes they are powerful. Good advice!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Kathy. Everyone needs to be reminded once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, I had never noticed that before either!
    You're very right about our words affecting people the same way as these seeds...right to the heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edi! I was surprised to see that the lines came from the seeds. Pretty amazing.

      Delete
  4. I haven't noticed that before either and I love how you turned it to show how words affect us! Wow! Great post Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose! Keeping you in prayer =)

      Delete
  6. Strawberry as metaphor. Beautiful post, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Indeed the tongue is sharper than a two-edged sword! Sometimes we do use that sword unintentionally. Very good reminder! As for strawberries - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Karin! Some days I need to travel with duct tape...
      And the strawberries are so good this time of year, too!

      Delete
  8. Wow... very interesting! I had never noticed that either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how I look at things on a daily basis and then one day I notice something like this. Just caused my thoughts to roll one of top of the other after I noticed the lines were connected to the seeds.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails