Friday, June 7, 2013

Real Life Funtry Friday...

Gadfry. (just happens to be one of my favorite exclamation point expressions...)

I repeat. Gadfry!

Welcome to Real Life Funtry Friday where the Real Life Adventures have taken over... Today we are featuring Bethie, who doesn't feel well.


Doh. Ummm... Doe doh... Doe doldrums. Doh. Welcome to mastitis. Yes, goats can get that even if they have never had a kid. Apparently, a precocious udder can have mastitis the same as a normal milking udder can.

 I was going to draw you a map of my travels for her today, but after all the travels I don't have the time. Suffice to say, I went to the feed store for an appropriate goat thermometer (apparently both my neighbor and I have misplaced ours... scary thought), back home to call the vet with her temperature, out to the vet's office to pick up medications, and back home for a further adventure in goat care.


As if the thermometer was not enough of an adventure, the medications are all in syringes. Nice. Four days of two shots a day. Bethie is going to just love this...

Not only that, but I had to enlist the aid of my neighbor who very patiently said "Right cheer!"


Yep, there's a first time for everything. I had never given a shot to goat before. Only six more to go... Hopefully these will make her mastitis go away. They already made her feel a little better. That could add an interesting note to giving her shots tomorrow...

On another higher note... Our first batch of baby swallows are in the air!


And, on that soaring note, another Real Life adventure in Funtry Friday Country ends.


Hope your sun set on a lovely day full of fun!

Blessings,
Kathy

18 comments:

  1. Yikes! Glad Bethie is feeling better...hope that poses no problems for you and the shot delivery. Birds on the wing...gorgeous sundown! You tuckered me right out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - thanks, Lee. My "tucker" has spread! I'm sure my neighbors will give me a hand if she becomes a handful!

      Delete
  2. Wow, mastitis! Poor Bethie! I've never felt so sympathetic for a goat before. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya know, the receptionist at the vet's office said just about the same thing... LOL

      Delete
  3. I hope Bethie is feeling all better soon. Good luck with the shots!
    Great sunset photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is feeling better today, but I still did manage to get both shots in her... and not in me! The sunsets around here are so beautiful! Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  4. I hope that Bethie is doing okay. Adorable birdies and beautiful sunset as always! Love the big sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she seems to be doing okay - though she isn't fond of her shots. She is, however, fond of the carrots that go with them. It is lots of fun to watch the Swallows! Glad you enjoyed the sunset - the big sky here lets us see it in all its glory!

      Delete
  5. Giving shots to a goat...that's something I hope I don't have to do! Goats are pretty strong and have a mind of their own. Hopefully feeling poorly helps her also feel a little more cooperative! The swallows are too cool! They're such beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, Bethie is a little on the small side for an Alpine goat - and she is older, too. I have to bribe her with carrots to catch her now, though, so I know she is feeling a bit better. Yay!
      I was surprised at how colorful the swallows are - very pretty!

      Delete
  6. awww. I hope Bethie feels better also how do you get a thermometer in a goat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is feeling better - yay! - she nibbled just about all of her hay today!
      Ummm... it's a rectal thermometer and you do it pretty much the same way you do for a baby... except that the tail gives you something to hang on to. LOL... hope that wasn't TMI! ;-)

      Delete
  7. Poor Bethie!

    Beautiful sunset, though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is doing better - yay!
      Thank you - my favorite time of day around here. =)

      Delete
  8. We hope Bethie is feeling better today! Hope she doesn't have to go thru what we do to have our temps taken! That's really a "Gadfry" moment!

    Purrs,
    Angel & Isabella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitties always know how to makes me feels bettah!

      and, yes. Missy did that to me.

      Thanks fur the purrs - hairs a maaaahhhhh fur you!
      Bethie

      Delete
  9. Awww poor Bethie, hope she feels better soon! You must be exhausted taking care of sick furred kids! Hope they are all well soon!
    Sweet baby swallows!
    Love the sunset!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam! I think the second set of swallows are nesting now.
      Bethie seems to be better. She wasn't too happy about having the shots, but I think she has forgiven me. Proving that apples and carrots are the way to a goats heart! LOL
      Sometimes it does wear me out, but they are worth it. Lots of company and lots of fun.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails