Sunday, June 2, 2013

Pizza and other changes.

I was 19 years old before a slice of pizza passed through my lips. Yep. It took a bit of convincing, too.

"Like - what is that peperoni stuff? You seriously want me to eat this?"

I came from a Kentucky fried kind of family. Pot roast and tuna salad. You know - a cross between Southern and Yankee cooking with an emphasis on "our favorite recipes".  Repeat daily.

Now I make homemade pizza on a fairly regular basis. And consume it, peperoni and all, with great joy. In fact, my son-in-law introduced me to a delicious dipping sauce for pizza:  Ranch Dressing. Yep - a culinary treat!

After the pizza, I got a lot more adventurous in the food department. Between the first slice of pizza and adding a' la Ranch, I also had frog legs and snails.

Frog legs tasted like chicken and they were teeny tiny. Slightly disturbing...

Snails proved that if you put enough butter and garlic on something, it will taste good.

Okay. The snails may have come after the Ranch dressing. Keeping chronological track of culinary adventures is not my strong point.

In fact keeping chronological track of lots of my life adventures is not my strong point. Even though I keep a calendar and a blessing book (kind of like a journal, but listing a daily blessing from God), I still miss writing things down. 

See, what happens is, I am strolling around in the middle of life doing my day to day stuff and something happens and I just keep on going. And then a few days/weeks/months/years later, I wonder when that totally awesomely important thing happened. It was so day to day, that I didn't write it down.

For example... you can ask me why I believe Jesus Christ is The Savior and I can tell you. If you ask me when I became a Christian, I can't tell you. Clueless. No Christian I knew back then ever told me to make note of the day I decided to let God run my life.  But, frankly, I don't think it's really that big a deal. Seriously - what's more important:  following the Lord day by day or knowing the day the journey started?

I'll take the actual journey, thank you. It's been kind of like my first bite of pizza. Taking that first step to follow Jesus, opened my eyes up to all kinds of wonderful incredibly awesome happenings that just keep on happening. Sometimes it's tough and sometimes it's a little scary, but I wouldn't trade this wonderful walk for anything the world has to offer.

*following my Savior close to see what adventure we will have today!*
Blessings,
Kathy

Lead me in Your truth and teach me,
For You are the God of my salvation; For You I wait all the day.
Psalm 25:5

16 comments:

  1. I was 16 when I ate my first pizza...and now I make a homemade one every week!
    have a wonderful week,
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I wasn't the only late blooming pizza lover. ;-) My daughter introduced me to homemade pizza and I was instantly hooked. I make several varieties and enjoy it fairly often. Nothing quite like homemade pizza - bet yours is delicious!

      Delete
  2. lol You couldn't pay me to eat frogs lets or snails. I have a vivid memory of my uncle offering me frogs legs when I was about 8 years old when we were camping after I had spent the whole day catching frogs (I love frogs) lol I was horrified!

    I love pizza, don't know when I had my first taste but think I was a small child!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - Pam, I don't think I would repeat the frog legs or the snails adventures again! I like frogs, too, and love to hear them "sing" when it rains.

      Delete
  3. I think it's funny how you put pizza in the same category as frog legs and snails...lol :) I grew up eating pizza, but I've yet to have frog legs or snails.
    We like both ranch and dorthy lynch dressing on our pizza :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - to me, pizza was pretty adventurous back then... but I was the child who wouldn't eat a hamburger and a whole list of other common things.
      Mmmm - have to check out the Dorothy Lynch dressings - they look yummy! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Ha ha!! Garlic and butter do work wonders...but you can't lead me to snails or frog legs anymore than I can lead you to celery...so there. :) Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *roflol* But celery is sooooo stringy....! Have to admit, that this morning garlic and butter sound much better on something besides snails or frog legs. ;-)
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. It's so true that if we don't write things down we don't remember when we started doing something! I don't remember a time when I didn't eat pizza but I know I'll never have frog legs or snails! When I was a kid we'd go to a friend's cabin in the Ozarks and my dad and the friends would go out at night to catch frogs for their legs. One night around 3am I woke with frogs hopping all over the cabin while I was sleeping on the floor! Not a good memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, Sharla - that would have "done me" for frogs forever!
      I know - and you would think that by now I would know to write things down, but this morning I was already trying to remember what I didn't write down last week. LOL

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose.
      I have actually had some people be a little critical that I didn't know the exact day I became a Christian - like maybe it didn't really make a difference or something. LOL I was so busy living and learning, that I didn't even give it a thought at the time. I guess some people are a lot more "historically" organized than I am. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Wonderful post, Kathy! I remember the instance but not the exact day that I believed in Christ. It was a Sunday, tho, I remember where I was sitting in my Sunday School class, when the teacher asked if we wanted to accept Jesus into our lives. I remember feeling different from that point on. Wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What a wonderful memory to have! I remember certain events around the time, but it was much more of a beginning of a journey for me.

      Delete
  8. AMEN and AMEN! I do recall the day I was born again, but I don't recall the first time I learned about God and that Jesus died to save me - I was just a little tyke. But making the conscious decision to give my life to Him was a very memorable experience. And I do recall your interesting culinary habits - remember how I used to torture you in high school when I would bring sardines or peanut butter sandwiches for lunch? LOL!! And do you remember when Mr. Salmon would bring in weird stuff, like the chocolate covered ants??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I remember you telling me about that - I was doing the hula of praise! =)
      Gaaaahhhhhh!!!!
      Yes. LOL - I have actually gotten to where I can tolerate a peanut butter sandwich - however sardines are still cat food. ;-)
      Oy - I may have skipped the ants, but I do vividly remember vividly thinking that squid would never pass my lips again. Believe it or not, my sister got me to try some at a local sushi place. I then revived my promise to myself. No more squid! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails