Friday, June 21, 2013

Oh, for the love! Funtry Friday

Oh, for the love!

Yes, that is the title of this Funtry Friday... because when my daughter reads this she is going to say that, and probably more than once. Ahem.  So - let's get started on our oh so lovely Funtry Friday!

Thursday
Actually, we have to start Funtry Friday with Thursday when - yes! look! I made it to the dump. And it was open, too, unlike yesterday...

Keep Children

Well I could get really sidetracked on that half a sign, empty pick up, and leftover baling twine... but Thursday is still underway - so let's get going! I mean really - who wants to spend all day at the dump? Except maybe the guy who works there.


Next stop, PO. (no worthy photo op there...). Safeway. (boring). Sandwich shop. (haha - too hungry to mess with the camera) Up to church to have a little art fun and good conversation with my friends. Now we are talking! Literally, too - including some about the Doce fire. Oy. Here's the view from the church yesterday.  Good news today - it's 15% contained.


We had a good visit in spite of the smoke which makes Granite Mountain look like a volcano.

After our visit, it was time to head home and finish a little project.


*yawn* and head to bed - after washing the day's dust off of me...

Friday
So, now - good morning! and welcome to the Friday portion of our Funtry Friday! We usher in this day with a visit to the Hen Motel.

 
These little girls belong to a family who had to evacuate from the Doce fire area. A friend of mine is housing their horses, but she didn't have a chicken pen for the girls. Voila! Chicken Motel at your service. She brought the girls over this morning.


I think they like this a bit better than the horse trailer.

Okay, back to the half finished chores. Time to turn the water off and move the other hose. I'll just step over this big stick here. There. Now the water is off, and...!!!!



I would like to think that it was the Moses and the staff thing, but I didn't see Moses around anywhere. I mean, at this point it would be ***really*** nice to think that I had just stepped over a stick that had some dynamic transformation ***after*** I had stepped over it.

Wait. Ummm... This snake is really lumpy and still...


Could it be that this critter has met it's demise? Shall I nudge it with my foot? AhyeahNo. I am totally not up to the excitement of finding out how fast this slither can slith while my foot is in range. How about just tossing a few little not quite twigs to see if it wakes up...


Oh. Yes. Slither can slith just fine. It's funny shape is because it is full of something and I don't want to know what... Though there are a lot of gopher holes right over there ----->

I wonder if it makes snakes dizzy to tie themselves in knots like that.

And, no, this is not the same snake as before. This one is only about three feet long.

However, this slither has a tail of the happy sort so my tale ends on a good note. Though I certainly hope there are no more stick costumes at this snake's disposal.

Welcome to Funtry Friday - where you never know what will be happening! I think I need some chocolate now.

Blessings,
Kathy

24 comments:

  1. YIKES! More snakes! I could not handle that at all. I loved the "Keep Children" had there been a problem with folks leaving them at the dump???LOL
    The chicken house is nice and I'm sure they do prefer that to a horse trailer (fried chicken)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least this snake is a little smaller. lol
      Ya know - maybe that's what the sign is all about. ;-)
      Yeah, no fried chicken! Praying my little pen holds up in the wind.

      Delete
  2. Wow... so glad the fire is a portion contained, hope it will be 100% soon!
    Wow,stay safe from the snakes! So good of you to offer to help with the chickens!
    I am really behind on your blog and others, will catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!
      LOL - keeping my eyes open and looking where I step now.
      Glad I could help them!
      No worries - thanks for dropping by. =)

      Delete
  3. Kathy, I know the chickens thank you. I won't mention your snake day too loudly since I haven't had one of those in quite a while. (knocking on wood)I hope the weather cooperates so the fire can become a memory soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shhhh... yes, not too loudly indeed!
      Thanks, me too!

      Delete
  4. What is it with you and snakes?!!! That's nice of you to do the hen-sitting and for providing such a grand hotel! I bet those girls are liking their new digs! And the sign.... I guess the dump just got too full of those little critters and they didn't want anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure. LOL
      They seem to be quite happy in their temporary home. =)
      Oh no! Scary thought!

      Delete
  5. Lovely little hen hotel! Much nicer than a horse trailer - they have a view! After reading about your day, I am in search of licorice. (my chocolate) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks =)
      Hope you got your licorice - somehow I missed my chocolate...

      Delete
  6. How great of you to help out and house the chickens!
    I love how you say this snake is "only" 3' long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to be able to help out. =)
      LOL - it seems to be a matter of perspective after a while... *roflol*

      Delete
  7. You are much braver than I would be around snakes!! I don't even like garter snakes (my son used to call them gardener snakes).
    How nice of you to put up the girls in that fancy schmancy hen motel!!
    Very sad about the fire, but somewhat encouraging that it is at least partially contained. Hope you are not getting the STRONG winds we have in Nebraska today. It would spread like - well - wildfire.
    Praying for all those in its path. Grateful for folks like you who will shelter the animals and families displaced by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the prayers! People are really good about helping each other around here. It was fun to have the hens here. PTL - the people they belong to were able to go home today so the hen's adventure has come to a happy end.
      LOL - well, if you had seen my reaction when I turned around and saw that I had stepped over a snake, you might doubt that bravery!

      Delete
  8. What a gorgeous view from the church! How nice of you to watch the chickens. I'm glad to hear that they're starting to get control of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty there. =)
      I had a good time! Thankfully, their owners were able to go home today so the hens have been returned to them.
      Hopefully it has been a good day of firefighting!

      Delete
  9. We took food down to the Humane Society to help out those sheltering displaced animals - I am afraid we have not seen the last of the wildfires. I wish I had a Hen Hotel. Steve is still not budging on my desire to have the 5 chickens that Glendale allows. Hey! He is a chocoholic - maybe I could fill him up with my famous Thirty Minute Fudge Cake and he wouldn't notice the hens??? maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bet that cake would work! Tell him about all the weeds they would eat. Just toss them in the pen, and voila - all gone! Not to mention additional mouse patrol. And, of course, the eggs just can't be beat! Yeah, and they love tomato worms.
      How cool that you took food to the Humane Society. There were several hundred homes evacuated around the fire and I imagine a lot of them had animals of one kind or another.
      Praying for rain and no lightening! So dry everywhere.

      Delete
  10. As soon as I saw that snake, I started thinking about those hens. Don't snakes like chicken eggs? Hope they don't like chickens just as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snakes do like chicken eggs. They will go for larger critters, too, but this snake is too small to go for a chicken. In fact, I don't want to meet the snake that is big enough to go after a chicken!

      Delete
  11. well your snake friend looks fat and happy, lol! glad to hear the fires are a little more under control...unless someone's been close to wildfires, they have no idea how terrifying they are. Nice of you to help look after the chickens, you sure got your hands full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - very full of *something*. I agree - it is pretty scary. The chickens had a short stay - everyone got to go back home! Yay! God bless those fire crews!

      Delete
  12. chocolate! definitely needed!
    Thank goodness that snake was full of something!
    I'm glad that the fire is mostly contained now.
    chicken motel! very kind of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate consumed!
      I was very grateful that Slither was not really active...
      It was a blessing to be able to help in a little tiny way =)
      God bless those hardworking firefighters! The Doce fire is out and the Yarnell Hill fire is under control.

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails