Friday, June 14, 2013

Funtry Friday Fly By

Interesting.

You never know what you will see around here. This is one confused chicken. In fact this is one peculiar looking chicken, too...

Oh, it's Peter Pigeon.


Peter has led a very confusing life. A number of years ago, he arrived next door during a storm which left him injured and rather bedraggled. My neighbor rescued him and nursed him back to health, but told him he could not invite pigeon friends to visit.

Peter decided that the grub was good and the company was fun, so he stayed. He is the only pigeon around here, but he isn't really lonely. Every spring he helps a couple of morning doves build a nest. He even helps feed the babies when they hatch.

He was a little distracted this week, though.


He found a place to have lunch, but the door closed behind him. The chickens were a little surprised to have company, but they put out the welcome mat for him.

He flew around the coop for a while. Well, rather like a maniac because I was bigger than a chicken - but he calmed down when I opened the door and sent him on his way back home.


Kind of missed having the pigeon in the chicken coop today, but I think he prefers the roof top anyway.

Hope you had some fun fly your way this Funtry Friday!

Blessings,
Kathy

10 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment in your yard and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My neighbors were watching him, too - and wondering how he got in the chicken pen. LOL

      Delete
  2. Ha.Ha. You gave Peter Pigeon quite a start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! Up to that point, I think he was considering taking up residence in the chicken coop.

      Delete
  3. His legs don't look very dark and he has a "finer" look about him that common pigeons (flying rats) don't have. He was probably an escapee from someone's loft. We used to breed and race homing pigeons and they did sometimes stray off course during training runs. Although he would normally have been banded, it is possible he was missed during that time. The fact that y'all don't have the plague of common pigeons up there leads me to believe he is of a more genteel background!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that before, Karin. It's very possible. There was at least one person in Chino Valley who raised homing pigeons. We could see them flying in circles when he let them out. I did think he looked a bit smaller. I will have to share his possible lineage with Lorie. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Too funny! I enjoyed getting to visit with the pigeon today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is rather fun to have around.

      Delete
  5. LOL He sounds like a lot of fun to have around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch him with the doves. LOL - though I don't think he was really happy when I went in the chicken coop!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails