Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day

Mother's Day isn't a "prop the feet up in bed and be waited on kind of day" around here, but that is fine with me. I had a few nostalgic moments before my day really got started.


Yes. That would be me and my darling daughter... one or two years ago!

Then I did a few chores...

A little bit of laundry needed doing...
and I thought about a country where there are no washing machines...

A few dishes needed to be cleaned up since I was lazy last night...
and I thought of a continent where most of the population does not have access to clean water...

I had a luscious breakfast with the biggest strawberries I have seen in ages. Chocolate was included on my menu...
and I thought about the mamas who cry because there is no food - they don't cry because they are hungry (though they are), they cry because their children are hungry...

I was grateful and sad. But life is like that. So many of the things that touch us deeply, bring just a touch of sadness, too.

Like being a mama.

The baby grew up. She has the baby toy for her babies now! And the baby blanket is still around somewhere...


Mark Harris Find Your Wings music video from mark-harris on GodTube.

And then finding that your grown up daughter is all that you hoped she would be and is now dreaming dreams for her children.

Let Them Dream God-Sized Dreams

What is wonderful about those grateful/sad moments is that you can change them to grateful/sad/grateful moments by taking a little time to invest in the lives of others.

Call your daughter. (Joking - she called me first, but I was outside. haha)
Plant a seed of hope with an encouraging word to a young mom.
Drop off some food at your local food bank.
Give a couple of hours of undivided attention to a child.
Take time to let an elderly relative know that they are loved.
Sponsor a child through World Vision.
Buy a well.

Okay. So I still have a few big dreams.  How about you?

Looking back and looking forward,
Kathy


 
 
Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all.
Proverbs 31:29 

16 comments:

  1. How fun to see these photos!
    a very thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy what a lovely heartfelt post, you're bringing tears to my eyes, stop it, lol!
    what a cute pic of you and your daughter, you haven't changed much from the pic on your side bar :-D
    have a blessed day
    xoxo
    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww... Well, my daughter's blog made me cry. LOL And thank you - lol - a bit more padding and a little more double chin now. *roflol* I did have a lovely day. =)

      Delete
  3. This was a refreshingly not self-centered post! A lot of people get very 'me, me, me' on Mother's Day. Or maybe that's because most of the moms I know are my age and us 20-somethings can be selfish...

    Either way, definitely though provoking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Natasha! Knowing about some of the hardships that people have all over the world makes me grateful for what I have and it moves me to pray for those in need and help where I can.

      Delete
  4. Great post Kathy! Thanks for the wonderful pictures and ideas and music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and you are welcome! That song always reminds me of my daughter.

      Delete
  5. One of my favorite things about Mother's Day is seeing all of the old photos that people post of themselves with their moms or kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun going through those old photos. Keeping you in prayer!

      Delete
  6. An awesome post with heartfelt honesty . . . and . . . encouraging to all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post Kathy, hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!
    Beautiful photos and loved the music video too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was fun to visit with my daughter. Glad you enjoyed the photos and music =)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails