Friday, May 3, 2013

And what would you expect to see on Funtry Friday?

Surprise! Yes we do have some water around here. Our Spring weather was great for this sail boat and the kayaks on Watson Lake.


And, yes, this is probably a pretty common sight for a lot of people - but out here, some of the kids have a long walk home.


Lots of parents are waiting to drive their kids home, too. The buses will only travel on paved roads, which means that lots of places don't get "up close" bus service. Hmmm... and I thought my daughter had to walk a long way home where we used to live...

Does this make you feel a bit like Little House on the Prairie?


Well, except for the trucks...The circus came to Paulden! There are lots of small traveling circuses that go to little towns across the country. I haven't been to one in ages, but we did enjoy a couple of them when we lived in Chino Valley. For kids who have never seen a circus, this is pretty exciting stuff!

Hey - what else would be happening on Funtry Friday? Why, Spring babies, of course!


Don't climb the fence and mess with the babies, now - mama has a set of horns on her and she knows how to use them!  These mamas are babysitting the calves while the rest of the herd grazes nearby.

More critters, you say?  Well, how about a disgruntled goat. Again.


Yes, she is seriously sticking out her tongue. And, no, goats do not eat everything. Hey, in all fairness to me, I thought she would like the Hollyhocks. The horses love them. The chickens devoured them. In all fairness to her, she did *try* to try them. She, however, being a goat of discerning taste, spit out the little leaf bit she got in her mouth. They are still sitting in her pen waiting for me to toss them out for the horses. She was quite confused as to why I fed her something so disgusting.

Speaking of things you don't want to see...


Yes, the other side of Spring. Warmer weather welcomes back the slithery side of the animal kingdom. This bull snake is about four feet long, thank you very much. The pictures you don't get to see (sorry, I was a little busy) are of me trying to decide if I needed to rescue the dogs from the snake or the snake from the dogs. I opted for a shovel and a rake and much yelling at the (I am pretty sure deaf) dogs. I have to say, I didn't know that I could throw a shovel, rake, and snake that far.

Then I went to get the camera.

And then I cut down all the Hollyhocks and weed whacked the yard flat. Oy. And I thought I was going to do nothing but rest. So much for that thought!


But the dogs (yes they are both in the photo above) thanked me for the flat grass. All the better to roll in, they said.


Lova says she can show you the best spots to roll. My advice? Just let her point them out... her tastes are not always quite as discerning as Bethie's are...

The zoo and I hope you enjoyed wandering around here on Funtry Friday - have a wonderful weekend in your neck of the woods!

Blessings,
Kathy

32 comments:

  1. Such a fun zoo! I'm loving the mental picture of you throwing snake, rake, and shovel. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey - I think this could be the next big Olympic event. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Love your zoo! All peaceful on the homefront, except the snake, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes... fortunately, it has slithered away... somewhere...

      Delete
  3. Snakes have a terrible habit of sneaking up on me! Oh, and one time a coworker insisted on driving a golf cart too close to a copperhead because he didn't believe me it was a copperhead. He was worried that, being on the road, it might get hit by a car. I was like, I don't care!! It's getting ready to strike - let's get out of here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! If this had been a venomous snake, I would have been out of there so fast you would have heard the sonic boom on the moon!

      Delete
  4. Yep, that was a fun trip around your zoo! Apparently the "front yards" around your area are rather big -- must be a wet walk for the kids on rainy days. Glad you won out with the snake -- I'm sure the dogs appreciated your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Most people out here have at least 5 acres. I think some of the parents volunteer to pick up kids for other parents, too. On the nice days, the kids seem to be having fun walking home - with the usual horsing around that goes on out here! lol
      They were very excited to have a new "toy" - me? Not so excited! I was glad it turned out well, too. Keeping my eyes open now!

      Delete
  5. You had me wanting to visit until the snake! Bethie is very picky! Does she like strawberries and bark? Our friends Pricilla and the other goats at the Happy Goat Farm love them! Lova is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you at all on that one, Sharla! Bethie does like strawberries, apples, oranges, bananas, and just about all the fruit I have fed her. She likes carrots, too. She will eat willow branches, but I haven't seen her eating the bark. There are lots of other weeds and grasses for her to eat, though, so that may be why. She isn't fond of iris leaves or hollyhocks, though - and, fortunately, fortunately, she has not developed a taste for horse hair. Some goats will eat the horse tails... Amazing some of the things different animals will eat!

      Delete
  6. I so enjoyed a trip through your world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you didn't have a boring day. Did I "hear" you correctly? Some goats will eat a horse's horse tail or are you talking of a plant? Enjoy the weekend too and love hearing of the 4ft. snake in YOUR yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - no boring days around here!
      Yes, you "heard" me right. Some goats (but not all goats) will eat the hair off a horse's tail. If they can get to it, they will eat the manes, too. Once they start, it becomes a habit.
      LOL - I don't mind the bull snakes - I just don't like them sneaking up on me! The dogs' reactions were very funny.

      Delete
  8. Ha! Yup the snakes are back - I was looking for mine yesterday. They seem to sneak up just when I'm in an awkward position pulling weeds. I am familiar with the snake chuck game, Nice one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! haha - Yes, I check the chicken coop very carefully... the last think I want is to be bent over getting eggs from the bottom boxes and look up into snake eyes...

      Delete
  9. wow so much fun! I want to be where you are at, with all the critters,and even the snake, lol! hey, he's just doing his thing :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty! LOL - yes, and now he is off doing his thing somewhere besides the dog yard - which is better for him, dogs, and me!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful lake and cute baby critters, but that SNAKE!!!! YIKES!! I don't do snakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is really pretty there. They have trails that you can walk, too. I love seeing the babies in the springtime! Haha - Well, it's not my favorite thing to do, I admit - but some days it just "happens".

      Delete
  11. Fun stuff! I still want to move out of the city, so I am NOT letting Steve read your post! LOL!! He freaks enough when he sees a scorpion in church! Bethie is so funny! Who would guess that hollyhocks would not be tasty to a goat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Well, I am not really fond of scorpions either - at least the bull snakes are not venomous! Bethie's reaction was priceless. I figured I was going to get pictures of her munching contentedly on another snack. LOL Soooooo not the case!

      Delete
  12. Wonderful pictures! I love them. You're going to think I'm totally crazy, but I would be thrilled to see that snake! There are really only garter snakes and turtles around here on LI, but I often go off in the woods, turning over logs and what not, hoping to find a snake or turtle... I never do. You're one lucky gal :) Seriously!!! When I was a teen living in Orlando, Fla, I would spend hours trying to find alligators! I never did :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I don't mind the bull snakes because, although they can bite, they are not venomous. It's just the time between seeing the snake and figuring out what kind of snake it is, that freaks me out. And you can have all them there alligators - I am sooooo not interested! *roflol*

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy visiting with your creatures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is really fun to share our critter adventures.

      Delete
  14. You are brave! I don't know what I would have done, encountering that bull snake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Judy - I am not sure I qualify as brave. LOL I was armed with a rake and a shovel...

      Delete
  15. Always fun at your place. YIKES, stay safe from that snake!
    Love the shot over the water, didn't know you had that much water near by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pam!
      Would be nice not to have any more snakes at all!
      There is a little lake north of Prescott. It's only this big after the snow melt and early rains. It's pretty there and has a long walking trail down by the water, too.

      Delete
    2. Looks pretty from the top, too! Maybe I will stroll there when it isn't snake season...

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails