Sunday, February 3, 2013

Perspective

After an unscheduled hiatus in blogging, I am back. And on a new computer, and yep, I am still downloading files from Carobonite and still finding out how this new techno gadget works.
Is rain welcome or unwelcome?
If you are having a drought, your perspective
says: "welcome!" 

Perspective.

A lot of people have given me a lot of sympathy for the sad plight of my failing hard drive in my antique (by techno gadget status) lap top. Many people have been amazed by my "patience" as I navigated the multitude of calls to get a new computer, cancel delayed parts, return parts that weren't needed, and learn how to understand the international accents in the process of transferred call after transferred call. (Sorry to disappoint you, but I did totally loose my cool during one call after three failed attempts to convince the customer service person that I indeed did want to cancel the order for the "gone walk about" monitor.)

Perspective.

This was not the first time that I faced the pitfalls of technology with a bit of humor, though. I had another hard drive that was over full - it choked. The hard drive that just failed was the replacement for that gasping hard drive. This time, I decided to start all over with a new computer.

Perspective.

Needless to say, when you order a computer and you don't have a computer to track the computer you just ordered, computer companies don't know what to do with you. Praise the Lord that I was totally blessed by family and received the gift of an iPad at Christmas (just after the lap top hard drive notified me that it was taking a permanent vacation). That (and wifi at the grocery store) was blessing number one. I could (more or less) communicate via iPad and phone calls to the computer company. They were far more confused by this than I was.

Perspective.

To me, not having a computer was not the end of the world. An inconvenience, yes. I missed chatting with my online friends. But not the end of the world - they knew I would return when I could.

Perspective.

During the month that I was off line, my inconvenience became trivial. A friend fell and broke her hip. This same friend lost her daughter to a long battle with cancer. One of our church family went to the doctor for tests and it was discovered that she had cancer. Everywhere. She passed away very soon after finding out this news.
How does a failed hard drive stack up to that? Nada.

Perspective.

Christmas came and went - and my Etsy shop was closed. New Year's Day came and went - and my shop remained closed. I still haven't added anything new to my shop, but it is open now. There are a few hiccups to doing that - slow internet (it's busy downloading files like crazy) and the inability to download new pictures off my camera.

Perspective.

I had a wonderful time with my family during the holidays and we had several gatherings, outings, and splendid visits. All without internet capability at home. Imagine that?!

Perspective.

Super Bowl Sunday arrived and I was reminded of two things. I live in a sports free zone. Haha - Not only do I have no interest in televised sports, I have no cable to view them (or anything else - hence the slow internet speed...). The other thing I was reminded of was the amount of human trafficking and prostitution that goes on during the Super Bowl. You may have missed that human trafficking is an every day problem in the United States, but check out the FBI and you will see that it is. Apparently, sports events escalate the problem. Upon sharing that news with a friend, she told me that a group of people are under investigation for human trafficking in Flagstaff, Arizona. Practically in my back yard...

Perspective.

Sometimes we don't see the important things that are right in front of us. Sometimes what we think are the most important things, really are insignificant.

Perspective.

What have I missed the most during my absence from the internet? Number one: my online prayer chain. My "go to" people for prayer and support. The network that takes little needs and big needs to the Lord who is Lord of lords and King of kings. They would have gladly prayed for the little glitches in my life - while I longed for them to pray for the sorrows in the lives around me.

Perspective.

Computers are stuff.
People are not!
And I am glad to be (albeit slowly... LOL) reconnecting to the people in my wonderful online community.

Enjoying the amazing blessings of God,
Kathy

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful, though provoking post, Kathy. You have definitely put things into perspective!
    Still, it will be good when you are completely up and running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I am looking forward to being completely up and running.

      Delete
  2. Kathy, welcome back. I missed you. Hope your having fun with your iPad and new computer!
    I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. And the loss of your other friend's daughter. I hope your friend with the hip replacement will recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying my iPad and finally finding my way around my new computer. Still a lot to be done, but getting there.
      Thank you and she is doing well.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, it is my worst nightmare to have anything happen to my computer! I always back up my data onto an external hard drive. Plus I have a laptop just in case ;-)
    I'm glad you're all set up and I'm sure you have a lot of catching up to do! You're right about the perspective. No computer would probably mean lots more creative experiments for me!
    take care,
    Duni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back ups are so important!
      Sometimes it is nice to take a break and explore some creative outlets.

      Delete
  4. You always have such a positive outlook on everything Kathy...I really admire that!
    It's so great to have you back and I'm glad you were able to be there for your friends and family during your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edi!
      I did miss chatting with everyone, but we had a lot of family fun.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back and enjoy your new computer! You are so right about perspective. I'm sorry for the loss of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Kathy, I have missed your musings. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are back.
    We can handle most things Life throws at us if we keep a sense of humor and a sense of perspective. You have done both.
    Good luck with the conversion to your new computer, and I hope you are able to transfer photos from your camera to your new computer soon.
    Love your skyscape. As a farm kid growing up in a fairly dry state, rain was a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do try to keep things in perspective.
      Definitely getting there...
      Thank you - we have marvelous clouds out here.

      Delete
  8. I love your perspective, Kathy! Kudos to you for making the best out of a really tough technology situation. I agree that one of the things that I would miss the most while offline is my support network. I'm glad that you have that back! Best of luck getting back into the swing of things and finishing your file restore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I missed chatting with my online friends and keeping up with their news.

      Delete
  9. What an insightful post! I know a lot of other people would have been freaking out without their computer, but you saw the situation for what it really was: a minor inconvenience that wouldn't last forever.

    I joined the BBA team while you were in transition, so it's nice to "meet" you! Good luck getting the new computer sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - very true - the temptation to freak out was there, but I knew it wouldn't accomplish anything. LOL
      Thanks for dropping by! Welcome to the team =)

      Delete
  10. Wow, so true! While I'm glad that you finally have your new computer and are back online, it's totally something to think about. I too have found myself less involved in the world online and more involved in my actual life and other people. It's a refreshing return. And it really makes us realized what truly matters!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was praying for you, my friend - and even though I did not know what was going on, I was at peace with the fact that our Lord knew and he knew what to do when I approached His throne on your behalf! Welcome back! As a former IT person, I totally get that failed computers are zip in the face of real adversity, but it sure is annoying when they crash! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! As always, His peace was a beautiful oasis in the storm - and that made all the difference!

      Delete
  12. There is nothing I could possibly add to this.
    perspective--we all need it, and as often as possible. Is it always given to us in a convenient way? absolutely not!
    glad to have you back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So very true, Splendid! So very true...

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails