Sunday, September 2, 2012

No quiet Sundays for some people.

*yawn*stretch*
*breakfast*
*feed critters*
*grab Bible*head to church*
*worship*sing*visit*munch*laugh*head home*

*think...*

I didn't have to walk miles out of my way to go to church.  I drove straight there.
I didn't have to make sure that no one saw me go into the building.  We were visiting right outside the building.
I didn't have to hide my Bible.  I carried it in plain view.
I didn't have to silently mouth the words to the hymns.  There was some great harmony going on and some of us were just making a (loud!) joyful noise to the Lord.
Our pastor spoke boldly and said what he thought.  Nobody arrested him.  Or us.
Some people stayed for the Bible study.  Nobody arrested them either.

A lot of people in a lot of countries face arrest, or worse, for gathering to worship or study the Bible.  Voice of the Martyrs has a lot of information about them.

My day was uneventful.  Quiet.  No one was pounding on my door to drag me off to prison...  or worse.  Today, others paid a high price for their faith.  What can I do?

"One With Them™ is an Open Doors initiative designed to bring awareness to the reality of Christian persecution to the Western Church. Through One With Them we seek to inspire Christians in the United States to stand as ONE with those who share our faith in Christ, but who don’t share our religious freedom."

One with Them is featuring One Body-Many Gifts:  "Your artistic talent can make their cause not only known, but understood."

That inspired me to create this from my little corner of the world... to theirs.

 
 
If you had a nice quiet Sunday, think about those who didn't.  You can see more on Within Reach Global.
 
Thanks for thinking about those who are persecuted for their faith.
Blessings,
Kathy
 
 
Remember them that are in bonds, as bound with them;
and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.
Hebrews 13:3


8 comments:

  1. This is such an important message. It's easy to take our freedom for granted in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking about this since this Sunday. A woman shared how her 11 yro is not afraid to wear his Christian shirts to school or his God Is Big Enough bracelets we get from our pastor. It made me think about all the people in the world that don't have that luxury without threat of death and I am wondering....how many of us would continue to be so bold as to wear our bracelets and shirts in public if our earthly lives were at stake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wondered that myself, Erika. I believe that we need to work hard to protect the freedoms that we have here and to work hard to raise the awareness of others to what it really is like in other countries.

    Thank you, Rose! I agree - and that is a very dangerous thing to do. We need to cherish and protect them instead of take them for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in a town where it is not chic nor OK to be a Christian. People more or less distain you if you are. My daughter's new church experienced heckling by protesters on the first few Sunday's that they were open. People stood outside in the street waiting to say hateful things to the families walking out of the church! This intolerant, unless you believe what they believe, town gets me down sometimes, but I am still waving the flag for my side!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christians in the United States MUST stand up for our rights, or we will find ourselves in "underground" churches, and our pastors being told what they can and cannot say. There is already some movement in that direction and it is scary. Remember His words in 2 Chronicles 7:14 - "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Pam!

    That's so sad, Linda. Sometimes it seems that tolerance only goes one way, but, hopefully, with a strong Christ-like response to the prejudice, eventually hearts will soften. Praying for your town!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, Karin! So very true. That's one of my favorite prayer verses!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails