Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sunday morning...


The roosters begin calling to each other at dawn announcing that a new day has started.  Sound carries a lot farther in the country, so the echoing calls of other roosters drift my way, too.  Each rooster has a slightly different sound just like people have different voices.  I enjoy listening to the early morning serenade, though some other people find it unpleasant.

We are all different – no two people completely identical.  Isn’t that wonderful?  Even identical twins are not completely the same.  Unique – each one of us! …in all of our good points and our imperfections…

Of course, if we were all the same we would probably get along a lot better.  It’s also a possibility that we could all die of boredom in 15 minutes.

Yes, I was reading a bit of the news again this week and, yes, I have a few more thoughts about grumbly people.

I have been a Christian business owner of a brick and mortar store and more than one home based business.  I have hired all kinds of people - some of whom agreed with my Christian point of view and some who were polar opposites.  I have had all kinds of customers, too.  Employees were trained to do their jobs well and excellent customer service has always been my goal. 

Separating and setting aside those who merely claim Christianity from those who truly live Christianity, there is only one way that a true Christian should manage a business and that is based on the Christian principles that govern  a Christian’s life.  Having been in those shoes, I can say that it is a difficult thing to do.  Enter our human-ness.  It is worth it, though, even when this viewpoint isn’t popular.  Fortunately, we live in a wonderful country where differing viewpoints are protected by our Constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.  Bill of Rights, First Amendment.

A lot of people around the world do not have the freedoms we have here, and we need to do all we can to protect those freedoms.  One thing we can do is allow others to hold opinions that are not the same as our opinion.  Say what you believe, vote for what you believe, boycott what you want to boycott, support what you want to support, but allow me the freedom to do the same.  The principles that I use to run my business may be different from yours.  My vote may be different – it may be the same.  The important thing is to cherish and protect our freedoms so that we may each continue to have free exercise of religion (or lack of religion) and freedom of speech as well as the other freedoms our Constitution guarantees.

Do I believe in taking my personal views into the ‘market place’?  Yes. Do I have a problem when people with opposing views take their views to the ‘market place’?  No.  There are businesses I like to support because of the views of the owners of the businesses, and some that I avoid because the owners support things I don’t want to support.  Do I believe that name calling and label flinging can accomplish any good?  No.  Do I believe in the need to have civil conversations?  Yes.

I am glad that I live in a country where I can use the Bible as my guide for my life and my business, I can shop where I want to shop, and I can buy (or not buy) what I want to buy.  It’s called freedom.  A lot of countries don’t allow that freedom.  Let’s work hard to protect and respect the freedom we have!

Blessings,
Kathy

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And do not rely on your own understanding.
Acknowledge Him in all your ways,
And He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NET

13 comments:

  1. I agree! But why did they take God out of the schools?
    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job as always! You're absolutely right about the freedom that we have in this country. It's easy to take that for granted and forget that many countries don't have that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, Sue - I remember when prayer in school was replaced with a moment of silence. I also remember a conversation my parents had where they said they were glad it was a moment of silence and not prayers from different non Christian religions. People don't remember that the Bible, printed by the US government, was one of the two official text books for our early schools. Very good question.

    Thanks, Rose! Keeping up on adoption news around the world and following Voice of the Martyrs has made me aware of how fortunate we are in our country. Sometimes the day to day 'grind' can make us forget how blessed we really are and that's when we need to stop and take time remember.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your point of view, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. last night at the Olympics, two of the finalists for a track and field event were twins. I've never seen that before! Nice to be an American with so many freedoms. Sometimes, though, citizens go a little far in their expression of everyday life! Everyone should remember these freedoms... {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel grateful every day that I live in a country that supports our freedoms! Any time I see a news piece where people don't even have basic freedoms, I just want to cry! We are so very fortunate that we have these freedoms!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jane =)

    Wow, storybeader - I don't think I have seen that either. I agree - everyone should remember the freedoms that we have!

    We are very fortunate, memories! Seeing what happens in some other countries is so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesterday, our pastor told us the same thing in a staff meeting. Remember, we are all entitled to our beliefs and to behave with respect toward others.

    Makes me wonder why it has to be so hard sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Our freedoms are the most important thing we have as they honor and support the fact that each of us by nature is unique and should never be forced or denied the right to be that person.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So true, Erika - but it is the difficult things in life that draw us closer to the Lord ;-)

    Thanks, Janet! Freedom is the cornerstone of our country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad we are all different people... lol I watched the movie Pleasantville and looked so boring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails