Sunday, August 19, 2012

Enjoy the moment!

Swallows fly for the sheer joy of flying.  I watched them this morning as they traced intricate patterns on the sky.  I watched them as they flew to the narrow edge (not even a ledge!) of the trim above my door.  I listened to them chatter while they briefly sat there between flights.  Not just one or two - but 15 or 20 of them.  I watched them without my camera.  I watched them for the sheer joy of watching them enjoy being Swallows.

Sometimes moments slip by and I find that I have lots of pictures but not always lots of memories.  Technology can be fun, but it can also be intrusive.  I do take a lot of photographs, both for fun family events and also for reference for my artwork.

But sometimes, like today, I deliberately set aside the camera and concentrate on simply being where I am, when I am, for no other purpose that to completely enjoy that moment.

It's not a luxury.  It's a necessity.  We were not created to work constantly, to go continually, to expend all of our energy on THE task that needs to be done NOW...  If that were the case, we would not need sleep, experience burnout, or feel a need to escape for a vacation.

We were created with a need to balance work and rest, worship and service, play and....

Oh - there go the swallows again - right outside my window...  Care to take a break with me and go enjoy them for a while?

Blessings,
Kathy

Do not be conformed to this present world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may test and approve what is the will of God – what is good and well-pleasing and perfect.
Romans 12:2 Net

12 comments:

  1. I've been known to watch the Birdie Network with Angel & Isabella especially when the chickadee show is on! We don't have a swallow channel but I imagine we'd be mesmerized by them too. I enjoyed this post today and it's a great reminder to find the joy in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many times you have just the message that I need to hear! It is really easy for me to get focused on taking tons of pictures and not put the camera aside. I do make an effort to leave it at home or just enjoy an event once in a while, and it's always worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's better to leave the camera alone. So many times I've rushed to get it and missed the actual moment! It's better to have the memory and no photo, than miss the memory trying to get the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't tell you how many times we've taken trips and I've wished that I'd forgotten the camera. You don't want to see and live life through the viewfinder.

    I love watching swallows, toO!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully said. Sometimes we just need to live in the moment, leaving our camera and our To Do list elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such eloquent writing Kathy. Thank you for your words ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words gave me a perfect picture!

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being in the moment is so critical to our mental/emotional/spiritual health. It's amazing to me how easily you can get to that moment, just by looking out the window. We have some baby cardinals who are learning how to fly in our yard, and we get the same feeling when we watch them. It's a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...this sounds really nice. I need to make that more of a daily routine for myself- just do something I love just because. I was walking to the library yesterday, just a few blocks from my car and I felt an incredible sense of peace. I thought to myself, I need this, every day. Even if it's just for 5 minutes:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. exactly! I've thought the same thing myself.
    being present in one's own life....
    I can imagine the swallows were amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was with a group of women and we were singing and praying when I looked out the window and saw birds flying against the window pane. I kept thinking that they were sent down to check out what we were doing.
    Bird watching and taking time off from the computer and just being busy is always a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post... your right we should all take time to enjoy the moments were living!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails