Sunday, July 8, 2012

Joy is a choice.


Surprisingly my dictionary doesn’t define joy very differently than it defines happy.  May I write my own dictionary entries for just a few minutes? 

When I think of happiness, I think of it as a joy filled emotion.  When I think of joy, I think of it as a deep seated way of looking at things.  Emotions can change quickly.  If you have any doubt about that, watch a two year old.  Or frown at the police officer if you get pulled over.  

Happy is on the face.  Joy is in the heart.  At least, that’s the way my dictionary would define those words.

While happiness is pleasant for a moment, joy is worth cultivating for a lifetime.

I admit it - this is Bethie at sunset and not at sunrise!

Joy lets a sunrise make me happy even when I still want to be sleeping.

I believe that joy can also keep us from ‘abundant worry’.   Have you ever seen an aggressive abundant worrier?  Someone who enjoys the frantic state of frazzled nerves?  I’m pretty sure I couldn’t live there. 

I have received some pretty good advice that has kept me away from the Country of Worry:
Worry never gets anyone anywhere, so keep joy in your heart as you focus on what you can do, and exercise the power of positive thinking.

Yep.  The advice is that simple.

Who gave me that advice? 

God. 

He has a pretty good view of things from where He sits. I think I’ll keep taking His advice.

Blessings,
Kathy

Do not be anxious about anything. Instead, in every situation, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, tell your requests to God. And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of respect, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if something is excellent or praiseworthy, think about these things.
Philipians 4:6-8 NET

11 comments:

  1. You are lovely and wise and God loving...I really admire you so very much! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Happy is on the face. Joy is in the heart."
    I love that definition! You should write Websters and give them some advice :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great message as always! You are absolutely right that joy is a choice. I need to remember that more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellent! I often think of those two words. Joy can be felt even when in pain or suffering. Joy is from the heart, from God, a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to worry and then remember that I can't do it alone and that worry does not solve anything.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *blushes* Thank you, Daffy, dear! Coming from you, that is high praise. God bless!

    memories - thanks =) That's the only way I could think of to explain the difference between an ever changing emotion and a rock solid way of looking at things.

    Thanks, Rose! We all do!

    Amen, Splendid! Well said! Thank you.

    Thanks, Erika! I agree - and the more that worry grows, the less we accomplish, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a born worrier, but with practice I've learned to set it aside and be in the joyous moment instead of worrying about what might (might... not will) happen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As you know, I have always been a Pollyanna (annoying, I know!), but since I gave my life over to the Lord, I have "joy unspeakable and full of glory" and "joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart!" Thanks for the beautiful sunset photo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for you, Janet! Wonderful!

    haha - Karin - nope, not annoying at all! I agree! Nothing quite like a really filling and full-filling joy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails