Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thistles: a point of view


Some people call thistles weeds, but not me!
I like thistles.  They grow wild out in my yard and I have a habit of leaving them alone and letting them grow.   I admit, it makes some people laugh – but that’s okay.  I really don’t mind.

They see:

Prickly plants that
Grow in unexpected places and
Thrive without any care then
Bloom and
Make more little prickly plants.

But I see…

Interesting shaped leaves that have an
Element of surprise and a plant that clings to its little dirt spot with
Tenacious roots and eventually produces a
Bright and interesting flower, and, since it is a
Perennial, I will have more next year!

Thistles remind me of the trials we have in our lives. 

They poke at us, pop up at the most inconvenient times, seem to grow and multiply without any help, and come back year after year.

Looked at in a different way, those same trials could be seen to nudge us towards a new direction, surprise us with unexpected inner strength, produce beauty in the midst of chaos, and give us a new way of looking at our problems.

It’s a matter of perspective. When I use an eternal perspective, it changes the way I view many things.  Even though this is true:

I (Jesus) have told you these things so that in me you may have peace.
In the world you have trouble and suffering,
but take courage I have conquered the world.”
John 16:33 NET
This is also true!

For this is the way  God loved the world:
He gave his one and only  Son, so that everyone who believes in him
will not perish but have eternal life.  For God did not send his Son into the world
to condemn the world, but that the world should be saved through him.
John 3:16-17 NET

Eternal perspective.  I’m going to work at applying that to some upcoming challenges.  How about you?

Blessings,
Kathy


15 comments:

  1. Love, love this. Reminds me of this by Graham Cooke: "We shouldn't treat people who are opposed to us as opposition but as people who need to be blessed themselves. So just be kind, generous and wear these people down with the goodness of God!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great outlook on life :)
    We're the same way with dandelions...some people see them as weeds...I see them as pretty pops of color in my yard :)
    Thistles are okay...as long as you're no barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful piece......thanks, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I might need some thistles in areas of my yard where nothing seems to grow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your outlook on things! I need to change my perspective on thistles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your perspective on this subject! Great insight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the thistles and what they represent. All God's creations.

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen, Shannon!

    haha - very true, memories! Not to many dandylions here, but when I lived in Phoenix, I enjoyed them, too ;-)

    You are welcome, Jane!

    Sarah - They grow out here with just the rare rain water. If they happen to get a little overflow from the trees, they get huge and have tons of blooms. Very tenatious plant, for sure!

    Sharla - I love to look at all the 'weeds' around here. I prefer to call them wild flowers! There are so many different kinds and many are so pretty!

    Thanks, Rose!

    Thanks, Sue - me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. alright, you have a point. They are tough, make through almost insurmountable conditions, and manage to top it off with a colorful display.

    Wait. Are we talking about weeds or people;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like thistles too - and here in AZ, "if it is green or blooms, let it grow" is my philosophy. As for those thorny thistles of life, "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience." James 1:2-3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Geeeee, Erika ;-) or circumstances that "prune" us?

    LOL - totally true, Karin! In Phx, our lawn care theory was: if it's green, mow it. Amen - So much wonderful wisdom packed into James!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your plant philosophy, it's only a weed if you don't want it growing there. Even a tomato plant can be a weed if it's in the middle of the lawn, for instance. And the thistle flower is lovely!
    Peace, Judi

    ReplyDelete
  13. So very true, Judy! Thank you =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post... Love how you see things! Beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Pam! Glad you enjoyed it. I think thistles are really pretty, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails