Sunday, June 10, 2012

Blessed to be a blessing.

On a recent trip to Costco, I happened to stop at the food court for a bite to eat.  (Don’t ask what I ate, and yes I enjoyed it!)  Staring at my food while I eat isn’t big on my list of fun things to do, so I started looking around.  From where I sat, I could see pretty much all the way to the back of the retail part of the warehouse.

I started thinking about what I saw…  Costco is really big.  It’s very bright and nice in here.  All of the lights are not lit.  Aha – perhaps Costco is energy and price conscious and they are using only the electricity that they need.  (I didn’t ask anyone, so I have no clue why the lights weren’t lit.)  Costco has a LOT of food in this warehouse.  They have more food in this warehouse than some people have ever seen in their entire lives.  More food than all the people in some villages and towns have ever seen. 

I thought to myself:  We are wealthy, but sometimes we aren’t aware of the wealth all around us.

Okay, don’t get me wrong here.  I’m not suggesting that Costco is a bad place because they have lots of food in their warehouse.  I’m not suggesting that people who have earned and saved their money are not entitled to enjoy it.   I am definitely not suggesting that “redistribution of wealth” is the answer to the world’s problems.  I’m not even suggesting that you and I should empty our pocket change into the next donation bucket that we walk by.

I am suggesting that we all open our eyes and our hearts.  Look around.  Be grateful for what we have.  Be aware of it and don’t take it for granted.

Simple things…

Go turn on the tap.  Get a glass and fill it with water.  You have just enjoyed a luxury that many people in the world do not have.

We are wealthy in ways we don’t even know.  Don’t take it for granted.  Take it for the blessing that it is.  And then share a little.  Not because you feel guilty.  Not because someone is angry that you have a nice home.  Not because someone protested somewhere about something.

Share a little because you have been blessed and because you have the opportunity to bless someone else.  The best way to enjoy a blessing is to share it!

Be blessed today!
Kathy
"The Lord bless you and protect  you;
The Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up his countenance upon you
and give you peace.”
Numbers 6:24-26 NET


13 comments:

  1. Great message for today! So true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great heart-felt and thought-provoking post!
    Great message Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blessings are everywhere -- we just have to open our eyes to see! Wonderful message (and you found it in such a "different" place!) I love that particular scripture -- it was always the closing remark from the pastor in the church I grew up in, and also in the one we went to when the kids were young.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Kathy, You and I are of one mind and heart in this matter ;o) I have often wondered at those who are unable to recognize the abundance that we Americans enjoy-even the "poorest" of us.

    We are so generously blessed with every conceivable convenience, and I pray that more will open their eyes and not only SEE the abundance and blessings, but thank the One from whence all good and perfect gifts come.

    I love you and your precious heart to pieces!

    xox, Daffy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Rose!

    pasqueflower - Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Thanks, memories!

    Thanks, Jane!

    Thanks, Sarah! What a wonderful verse to have every week!

    Awwww - sweet Daffy! (((hugs and love))) right back to you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post. I agree with you. I think we have gotten so spoiled here in the U.S. that even those that go without are still so much better off than others around the world. How people that cannot afford food can afford all kinds of gadgets is one I wonder about sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erika, so very true - I have often wondered about that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was a great reminder. When we lived overseas, our 17 room house was cheek-by-jowl with the grass and mud lean-tos of the cholos who moved to the city from their villages to "better themselves." I learned a lot - mostly not to take anything for granted and to be grateful for the life the Lord chose for me! Pay it forward - you will reap blessing untold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Karin! Very true! Many people are not aware of how different lives are lived - even a few blocks away.

    Thanks, Pam!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails