Monday, June 18, 2012

History, Mystery, and a Hint of Romance

Love to read a mystery?  I do!

When my friend, Carol, asked me if I would like a copy of her latest book, I jumped at the chance to read it!  Love in Disguise by Carol Cox kept me in suspense with a plot that twisted and turned and gave me lots of surprises.  This historical novel is set in the Wild West of the 1880s and has just the right amount of romance, and a dash of humor, woven into the mystery.

Follow the adventures of Ellie Moore who talks her way into a job with the Pinkerton Detective Agency.  She has one chance to prove herself.  Off she goes to Arizona with her costumes and her imagination - and a need to find out who is stealing all the silver from the miners.

Ellie transforms herself into Lavinia Stewart and poses as a middle-aged widow to gain information.  Other times she poses as Lavinia's niece, the vivacious red-haired Jessie Monroe, who is out west to seek adventure - sometimes in all the wrong places! 

Add a handsome miner, Steven Pierce, who hopes that Aunt Lavinia will invest in his mine, and hopes that her beautiful niece, Jessie, will join them for dinner - and you have a very fun read with mystery, romance, and a good bit of humor.  Oh, and don't forget all the danger that Ellie finds herself in, whether she is Lavinia or Jessie!

Can Ellie solve the crime before her true identity is discovered?  You'll have to pick up a copy to find out because there are no spoilers here and I am about to give my copy a second read!

I really enjoyed reading this delightful book and recommend that you put it on your summer reading list.  Enjoy your trip out west!

Blessings,
Kathy

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good! I want to see Aunt Lavinia AND Jessie at dinner with hunky Stephen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mysteries, too. Thanks for the great review! I may have to put this one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being an avid reader and book collector, I am definitely going to read this.
    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are enjoying the book... I wish I was a big book person, but I just can't get into books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - Sarah , that would be a very neat trick!

    Rose - it was really good! I didn't figure out who was responsible and was surprised by the solution.

    Sue - Carol is a great writer!

    Pam - I don't have a lot of time to read so it takes me a long time to finish a book, but I do like to read. LOL - library books are a challenge for me. I usually borrow them, or in this case, receive them as a gift.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails