Sunday, September 25, 2011

How to be quiet on a crazy busy day.


We all have those crazy busy days - ones where you pack in a million errands. 

Days where your mind is never on where you are or what you are doing, but rather on the next stop on the list or the next job to call finished. 

Well, I could have had one of those days yesterday, but I made up my mind that I wouldn't do it. 
Oh, I still had a whole list of errands and a bunch of stops to make, but I decided that I was going to have a quiet day anyway.

The list:
  • Bible study breakfast (good way to start the day!)
  • Grocery store (with a little list)
  • The Art Store (and The Frame and I)
  • Order flowers at The Flower Box - my friend, Margie, is 90 years old now!
  • See what's new at the Huckeba Gallery
  • Get gasoline (that I might be able to get home)
  • Costco (with a big list)
  • Olsen's Grain (to keep the chickens happy!)
  • Pick up mail at the Post Office
  • Go home!!!
Yep, I left at a little after 7 AM and I got home around 4:15 PM.  Then I had to unload everything, too.  Well almost...  I admit that I drove two bags of chicken feed and a bag of dog food to church this morning. 

So how did I keep that frantic Saturday quiet?  Let me tell you.

My day was too busy not to start with prayer.  Then I enjoyed a little bit of sunrise - yummy colors!  My friends and I enjoyed good company, great conversation, and a nice breakfast.  The grocery store is never crowded that early in the morning.  What's not to like about roaming through an art store and frame shop?  Well - okay, insert fabric store, craft store, mall - or whatever you enjoy!  Then add good friends and more fun conversation in there, too.  Then I ordered flowers from a friend of mine, and got another nice visit.  Took a tour through another friend's gallery and enjoyed a little more fun.  Beginning to see a trend here? 

Next on the list?  Costco.  Now, you are thinking how is Costco going to be relaxing on a Saturday?  Believe it or not, there was no line at the service station.  That's relaxing!  Now it's time to grab my list and fill the cart - and have a nice chat with the photo clerk who gave me information about printers and another chat with the nice lady who knew where the raisins were.  "No thanks - I don't need any boxes."  And off we go!

Okay, I am getting a little bit tired now, but it is really cool inside Olsen's (both the store and the temperature!).  And it's fun to read the message boards in the back of the store...  But, we'll get that last sack of feed and mosey on to the Post Office. 

And, truthfully, I am still amazed that I didn't meet anyone to chat with at the Post Office! 

So what makes a busy day like this quiet?  Lots of little pauses along the way.  Visits with friends and strangers.  Allowing yourself enough time to accomplish everything.  Having a list - and knowing when to leave stuff for another day's list. 

And taking a little time first thing in the morning to thank the Lord for the beautiful sunrise!

Blessings,
Kathy

PS  Oh, and yeah - the feed sacks are still in the truck.  You know, they will wait until morning *winks*  Now where did I put that pencil?  I think today's list is finished!

"Be still, and know that I am God!
I am exalted among the nations,
I am exalted in the earth."
Psalm 46:10


5 comments:

  1. You accomplished so much and took time to enjoy it all! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lee! Keeping a quiet attitude makes it easier for me to navigate through a "crazy busy day" - and enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find that if I don't start my morning with the Lord, my day goes off with me just trying to hang on! And now that I am back at work (praise God!) I need that morning devotional and prayer time even more! But Costco, relaxing? Really? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyday in my brain is like you described...already on to the next step!
    It's nice to be able to slow down and enjoy each step once in a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen, Karin! PTL for being back to work =) I was wondering about that! hehe - maybe I need to do a 'how to' post for relaxing at Costco ;-)

    memories - LOL - my brain's natural mode is auto-pilot - and, if I let it go there, I crash a lot =p Things go much better for me if I slow down and enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails