Sunday, January 30, 2011

When you were 12 years old...

...what was your favorite thing to do?

Not surprising - I played with dolls and toy horses.  I dreamed of growing up and having horses of my own.  I drew pictures and painted them bright colors.  I played games with my sister, mom and dad.  Typical childhood fun.  At least, for some...


As you know, Timothy and Cynthia are in the process of adopting a little girl from Ethiopia.  This week, I found out a little more about our little girl's birth mother.

The birth mother of Baby E is a 17 year old widow who is working and caring for her 5 year old child while living with her widowed mother.

*whew*  That information really set my mind to spinning.  I have been thinking all week about the childhood I had and how different it is from Baby E's birth mother's life.  Depressing?  No.  Because I know we can make a difference in the lives of people like Baby E and her birth mother. 

Care to give up a Latte or two this week?  Yep, just that much can make a big difference!

America World Adoption

World Vision to sponsor a child

Joni and Friends domestic and international ministries

Compassion International to sponsor a child

Maybe adoption is not for you - but, for about one dollar a day, you can sponsor a child and make a huge difference in their life and the lives of their family.  Don't want to make a long term commitment?  Check out the ministries at Joni and Friends and help out the disabled living all over the world.

Just for the price of a Latte!

Happy Giving!
Blessings,
Kathy


...visit orphans and widows in their distress...  James 1:27

12 comments:

  1. Sweet post. So many children need help, whether adoption or financial assistance! Definitely better than having a latte!

    Hugs,
    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that's all I can say. I think my head would spin too Kathy. It really doesn't take much to make a big difference. I went out the mall today with my Little Sister (who is going to be 21!). She has changed so much since we first met in 2007 and all it took was an hour a week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I can't even fathom a life like that. It's way different than my childhood. It sure brings light to the difficulties experienced by women, and obviously sometimes girls, in other parts of the world. Thanks for the information on how to help make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Anastasia - so true!

    Cool, Purple Pony! That's awesome - and that investment of time does so much to shape a life!

    Me either, Beaded! You are welcome. You are right, there are so many, many, many who need help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy great post and yes helping any of these children and their families is much better than a latte anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I found it because I have a Google Alert set to pick up on posts that mention Compassion. You are so right, it is WAY better than a latte....though maybe just as addicting. We sponsored our first child in June 2009 and since them our CI family has grown and grown!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lord is working on me every day and perhaps this is what I need to do. I would love to sponsor a child and their family.

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue - it is VERY rewarding!

    Awesome, Michelle! It is a wonderful experience so see what a difference just a little bit can do to change the life of a child and their entire family.

    So very true, Marlene! Thanks =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a different world than the one we live in. Great post Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally, Pam. The area in Ethiopia where Baby E is from is the poorest area in the entire world. We can't imagine what it is like because it is so different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there. I just got to your blog. I think this is just awesome. I will be praying for you and the young lady and her family, etc. I really have loved sponsoring through World Vision. This is the first time in a long time we have been without a sponsored child. We are hoping to start again soon. It has been a huge blessing to us. May God bless you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Melinda! Sponsorship is an amazing adventure! I have enjoyed it soooo much - glad you have, too. Thanks for the prayers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails