Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Don't starve your creativity!

If you don't eat, you will stave to death. Trust me in this one. Proven medical fact here...

Daphne's Breakfast
Fall is always a busy time of year for me - as it is for most people. I have a tendency to race around and make more plans that I can accomplish. In the midst of that I may remember to eat some munchies, but chances are I will forget to feed my creativity.

And, if I don't feed my creative drive it will starve to death. Feed your creativity, and it will grow. Starve it, and it will just limp along.

But I'm busy! So what can I do?

One thing I do is to look for the things that feed my creative spirit. Then I try to do one thing each day that nurtures that creative part of my brain. Daily attention to creativity really helps - after all, we do tend to eat every day, don't we? We also need to feed our creative side daily, too, especially when life gets very busy and/or stressful.

I bet if I asked you to list ten things that you like to do and that really get your creative juices flowing, you would be able to easily complete that list.

Just for fun - here is my list:

1. Play with paint
2. Look at photographs
3. Take a walk
4. Look at artwork
5. Read an art book
6. Paint with a friend
7. Take a class
8. Try a new technique
9. Try a new art material
10. Buy a new paint color

One minute and 15 seconds. I came up with 10 things that give me a creative charge. Do I do them every day? Nope. And probably for the same reason that you don't. These are classed as 'fun' occupations. Laundry, dishes, yard work, employment, chores, etc., and etc., are classed as 'needed' occupations.

We constantly put the things that feed our creativity on the 'back burner', so to speak, because we don't consider them to be things we 'should' be doing - especially while we are getting ready for all of our holiday festivities. Funny how many of us will still carve out time for TV and computer games even though we won't take time to feed our creativity...

So, today - make your list of ten things that you know feed your creative spirit, and then go do at least one of them right now. A little creative relaxation will nudge the Scrooge right out of you even if you are in the middle of your Christmas rush!

Do you have something that really inspires you and it's not on the list? Add it in the comments - then grab a cup of hot chocolate and carve out a little creative time today!

That's what I am going to do!
Blessings,
Kathy

13 comments:

  1. Absolutely GREAT post! I love your ideas--although my husband is waiting for me downstairs, right now, to "re-arrange the storage area" while finding and retrieving the Christmas Decorations! But . . . I promise to do #5 by 5:00 TODAY, and make my own list by bedtime! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watch anime.
    Read a novel, children's book, or poetry.
    Do nothing except stare out of the window for an hour.
    Drool over other artists' work.
    Look at beautiful photography.
    Sit and stare at semiprecious gemstone beads (I'm a jewellery artist) for ages until I can see all the little flecks and striations and every little change of light and reflection and colour ... so much beauty in a thing so small.
    There are more, but I have to go and watch some anime! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teach a class - even if it consists of just one "student!" I am starting The Sewing Circle back up at church after a year's hiatus and I am so EXCITED and the creative juices are flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, I am starving my creativity but in the new year I hope to let it fly. I have so many ideas running around in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great post! so absolutely true!

    take photographs--look at objects of nature in a new way, eg, the center of a flower
    observe a bee sucking up nectar or other creature just simply doing what it does
    hike, bike, be in nature
    snuggle kitties
    look at (touch) art/craft materials (as an example, I recently was in a fabric store with a friend. I don't sew very often, but I so enjoyed looking at the colors and patterns and, of course, feeling the textures!)

    My first item above made me think of blogging. Joining a meme can make one think of something ordinary in a new way or cause new ways of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, Linda! We do have to be intentional in nurturing that creativity!

    Great suggestions, Silverlight! I really enjoy looking at children's books also - especially antique ones.

    Oh, Karin - if I was closer, I would be there, too =)

    Pam - sometimes letting those ideas run around in your head does a lot to get the creative juices flowing!

    Very true, Splendid - looking at things in a new way can really help get our creativity moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and very important too! I have a hard time finding the time to be creative but I need to remind myself it's very important to be creative for so many reasons! Sanity being number one at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. So very true...after several days of chores and what not it's time for creative play!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I agree with your post.

    I guess for me a work of art starts with an idea. Without the time to nuture and allow my ideas to grow equals no art...

    Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beaded - and sanity is an awfully good reason!

    Lee - so very true!

    Very good point, jcs!

    Thanks, Story!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails