Thursday, November 18, 2010

A few more hints for selling on Etsy!

Etsy has made a lot of changes over the last few years, and, no doubt there will be more changes made in the future. One recent change involved the Profile Page. Here is what mine looks like now...


Here is what Etsy has designed the profile page to look like - I don't have my 'favorite materials', favorites, or treasuries showing on my profile page. The orange text shows you where those things would be if I had them there…


One of the main problems with having your favorites, treasuries, and favorite materials showing on your Profile Page, is that these are all direct links that take potential shoppers away from your shop.
Want to see how many places on your Profile Page lead to somewhere outside of your shop? Take a look…

Everything inside the red leads to somewhere else on Etsy. Either to another shop, a place to search items, Etsy's home page, help pages, information pages, etc. Lots of these links are 'normal' web page links, but about 300 links can be found in your favorite shops and treasuries (because of the number of links associated with each favorite shop item and each treasury item).


The little green links lead to your main Etsy shop page.

Take note of the fact that your avatar is not surrounded by a green line. Neither is your shop name right below your avatar. What happens if you click these? You stay on your Profile Page. Etsy admin, Sean, has stated that eventually all avatar and all shop name links will lead to the Profile Page instead of to your main shop page.

See this forum thread link for more details ~
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6666403&page=1 
Admin's comments appear on these pages ~
13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 24, 27, 52, 66, 73, 121, 123, 208, 213, 215, 219, 221, 348, 349, 351, 401, 403, 430, (458 by LisaJune about abusive posts & 459 LisaJune did invite us to convo her with questions about profiles.), 488 (These were all the admin comments posted when I visited page 501.)

Check the highlighted areas to see what I did to help remedy this little link traffic migration a bit…

• I added some information in my bio to help people navigate this maze. There is a link to my main shop page, a link to my Policies page and a brief note to 'click read more' so that people will know that they can expand the now truncated biography into a pop-up window.

• I removed my 'favorite materials' list because it was just one more series of links out of my shop.
• I made my favorites private. Some of my favorites are shops of friends, some are surprises for friends and family, some are competitors, and some are crazy items I want to share because they are crazy. I promote my friends in other places, gifts need to be private, and the rest I just don't want to share! *roflol*
• I have never made a treasury (just not my thing), but I think the only way you can remove them is if you delete the treasury. Otherwise, you have a lot of potential links to other shops on your profile page.

If you want to make your favorites and/or your purchases private, go to:
• Your Etsy
• Look under Your Account
• Click on Account
• Click the tab that says Privacy
• Click the space next to Only you (private) under Favorites and/or Purchases

There are some issues with Etsy's internal searches for their promotional items in connection to keeping your favorites private. Those issues are addressed in the forum thread.  If you read all of admin's comments, you will have a good idea of the direction that Etsy wants to take with the Profile Page as well as a few other things they have in mind.

Hope this gives you a little more information and helps increase traffic to your main shop page with your items that are for sale!

Blessings,
Kathy

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Kathy, this is wonderful information to have. Now I just have to find time to go revamp my shop a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the info!

    I'll have to seriously consider how to respond to the changes at Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wonderful post. I just went and revamped my profile, mine now looks neat and tidy, although I do have treasuries on mine. Thank you for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't have to delete treasuries to get them off the profile page, just make them private. It's cumbersome, you have to do each treasury individually, and it kinda defeats the purpose of making them, but mine are just private for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Marlene!

    You're welcome, Lee - me, too!

    You are welcome, Pam!

    Thanks for the information, pennamite! I agree, it does defeat the purpose *sigh* hopefully etsy will decide to remove them from this page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great info, Kathy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for explaining and demonstrating this so clearly. This will help a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kathy for all the information and help!

    ReplyDelete
  9. fantastic info...thanks :) I knew about some of the changes, but it never hit me just how much directs people away...not good. Off to go play with mine now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for taking the time to write this all out Kathy - great information.

    All these changes at Etsy are making my dizzy...not to mention nauseous, too. ;-(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing this information and going into depth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are welcome, Steampunk!

    Delighted to share, Stacy!

    Glad it was helpful, TiLT!

    You are welcome, Debbie! It is hard to keep up with all the changes. I check the admin posts when I go on etsy and that helps.

    Glad to share, jsc - and glad to know it was helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails