Sunday, September 5, 2010

When is a bloom not a bloom?

Ah, yes, another post that says 'take a look at this - what do you see?"


One bloom?  two blooms?  a dead weed?  future munchies?  bird food?

Well, the flowers you see could be all of those things and none of those things!   Sunflowers grow wild around here and, indeed, these were not planted by me - they just sprang up when I watered what I did plant. 

Does that make them just weeds?  I guess I like to think of them more as a gift.  A bright, unexpected spot of beauty in my garden. 

And, in the case of this one, definite future munchies!


Where did they come from?  Well, seeds, of course *winks*  Some have come back year after year from the first plant that grew and went to seed - LOL - the one I did plant.  Some are definite imports from the wind or traveling birdies =p

But, one thing is for sure.  The dried up and withered flowers are very important.  They look usless and some would say ugly, but without the seeds that they provide, there would be no more flowers.  And no more future seeds...

So, guess what?  I am going to give those tired old withered flowers just as much attention as I am the final fresh blooms of summer.  After all, just because something is old, tired and/or ugly doesn't mean that it is without purpose and usefulness!

Hmmm...  I think I can apply that thought to a few other areas of my life.  Guess I will chat with you all later... I have a phone call I need to make!

Blessings,
Kathy

Jesus said, "Truly, truly I say to you,
unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies,
it remains alone, but if it dies, it bears much fruit."
John 12:24

18 comments:

  1. What a sweet post, I love the photos you took, one of the subjects we painted in my watercolor class was a "dead" sunflower. It was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Post. Just goes to show that there are blessings every where we look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Marlene - I want to paint a grouping of sunflowers that includes one that is all dried up =)

    Thank you, Brenda - I agree 100%

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this because the same thing happened to me. I had not weeded for awhile and two sunflowers popped up. What a wonderful surprise!! It was a shade area and had not planted them ever. When they died someone ate them totally! So they were not wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know what? I needed this post this morning. Very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just planted sunflower seeds for the 1st time a few weeks ago. The plants are small right now, but can't wait until they get big like yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post Kathy! I have one part of my garden, where I hardly ever weed and that's where the most beautiful plants come up, that the birds and squirrels have planted! Nature really does know what to do ;o) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. BackyardNaturePhotosSeptember 6, 2010 at 7:01 AM

    Truly a thing of beauty with a purposeful life.
    You mean to tell me the gophers left these alone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos - and those are beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is truly SEED for thought!
    Thank You!

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohoo! Sunflowers are one of my FAVORITES! I have some of those volunteers in my garden, along with some volunteer morning glories. It is always such a pleasant surprise to see what the Lord provides in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So true, Karin! I love the sunflowers, too =)

    Thank you, Sue!

    Thank you, Rose!

    Jane - the gophers are too busy eating trees =p

    I love to see what will 'just come up', too, Stacy!

    Trish - they are so much fun to grow! I love their bright colors =)

    Thank you, Very Verdant - God bless!

    pfd - I know what you mean! Goats, rabbits, horses, chickens - and who knows what other critters - love to munch the sunflowers. I love to watch goats eat the flowers *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lot of truth in your statements,Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just LOVE sunflowers. You are so lucky to have them every year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them, too, Pam! They make me smile. We have several varieties, too =) Small ones and giant ones - and one of my neighbors has planted some that are a redish color! They are lovely =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I took pictures of them because I want to do a painting =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails