Sunday, September 19, 2010

How to fly like a chicken.

Did you know that chickens can fly?  They can!  A chicken can fly over a four foot fence and tempt a dog to eat them.  If they employ all of their brain power, they can even fly back over the fence before that happens.  They can also fly up to the top of a six foot fence where they will sit in dazed confusion for a while before flying down.

Stepping Out
Guinea fowl can fly about 30 feet.  In any direction.  This means that they can fly over the entire dog yard and excite the dogs into a frenzy.  Or they can fly up to the peak of the roof where they can run up and down the roof until everyone in the house is awake.

Pea fowl can fly really far.  They don't have to fly away from my dogs, though, because Cookie and Lova are afraid of a bird almost as big as they are.  Pea fowl like to fly up and roost in high places especially where they can make their very *shy and quiet call* echo over the entire countryside at dawn.  Places like the rafters inside a barn where there is an awesome echo and you can't immediately find the bird...

Of course we all know that geese can fly, but did you know that there are times when they will not fly?  Fred and Ethel flew over the fence to come to my yard.  They got fed, so they never left the yard - not even to go into the empty field next door.  They never flew south for the winter...  They never flew to the lake...  They never flew to the top of the roof...

My rooster flying up to the top of a six foot fence is living up to his potential.  The roof top guinea fowl and the barn rafter pea hen are living up to their potential.  But did Fred and Ethel live up to their full potential?

For that matter... do I? 

Some of us are made to soar with the eagles.  Some of us are made to flap with the chickens.  We all have different talents and different limitations.  We also all have different potentials.

Well, whatever my potential, I am going to take a lesson from these birds and do my best to flap my wings and fly wherever the Lord wants to take me today!  How about you?

Blessings,
Kathy

But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
they shall mount up with wings like eagles,
they shall run and not be weary,
they shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31

14 comments:

  1. Kathy that was a wonderful inspiring post, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Marlene =) Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the analogy. I found this very interesting and inspirational.

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to look at things :)
    Thanks for all the birdie tidbits too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all need to do what ever the Lord leads us!! :) PS I miss my chickens, Soon I will have some again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sue - Glad that you enjoyed this little flight =)

    Thank you, memories - hehe - and you are welcome for the little birdie tidbits, seed and grit *winks*

    I agree, Lisa! So happy you will have chickens again soon =) I love my chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kathy! Great post! I flap my wings everyday! Sometimes I make it over the fence and sometimes I don't! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm afraid I'm a "chicken flapper" but I aspire to greater things through Him who strengthens me and works on me until His coming :o)
    Thanks for sharing your beautiful heart!
    xoxox, Daffy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by, Daffy Dear! lol - I am sure that I am a chicken flapper, too - but I'm going to be the best flapper that I can *winks*!

    Stacy, just make sure you watch out for the doggies! lol!

    Thanks v + s =) So glad you enjoyed it =)))

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy, you are a great philosopher, comic, and talented person all rolled up into one. Keep up the great work of filling us with your words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Carole *blushes* I am grateful to the Lord for my sense of humor - and my, ummmm.... (((unusual))) way of looking at things - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! lol Had me chuckling a bit too. Love the art also!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Pam - glad it gave you a chuckle =) and glad that you enjoyed my little rooster =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails