Sunday, June 13, 2010

Wind is a powerful force...

Wind can drive turbines to make electricity.
It can turn into hurricanes.
Wind can go from a gentle breeze that cools a hot day...
to a driving wind that fills the air with dust.

Wind also makes trees strong.  Trees that grow in windy areas have deep roots.  The wind actually helps the trees to grow stronger.  Of course, this only works if the trees bend in the wind.  A stiff, brittle tree would break to pieces in the winds we have around here.

We have a lovely place - called The Dells - that is full of fantastic rock formations.  It is also full of trees, bushes and grasses that grow in the little cracks in the rocks.  Some of these trees are very old and have been there for many, many years.  It is amazing to me that a tree can survive in an area like this!  There is very little water, tremendous winds, and almost no soil - just what can gather in the crack in a rock.

The wind has done it's work, here.  These trees have grown strong.

The wind has done another job here, too - it has worn away the stones.  The constant driving wind has weathered the rock formations and smoothed rough edges to make them look almost soft.   The tree can bend and grow strong; however, the rocks can't do that so they are worn away.

I can take a lesson from these trees.  If I want something bad enough, I had better be willing to work hard to find a good place for my roots.  I had better watch the 'winds' and be prepared for some struggles.  I had better hang on and concentrate on growing strong at all times.

I would also to well to remember the words of Winston Churchill ~ "Never give up.  Never, ever, ever give up." 

Okay, I am going to go make sure I have some excellent soil for these roots of mine because I think that's a good place to start!  How about you?

Blessings,
Kathy

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own insight.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
and He will make straight your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

12 comments:

  1. These are wonderful words of encouragement. Thank You!

    ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely post, such wonderful words of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words of encouragement for the beginning of a week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! What a powerful force wind is. And you're right - we have to work for the best things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite hymns, He Hideth My Soul, speaks to this. He is the best soil! Thanks for the memory of The Dells! I had nearly forgotten - I must get up there again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Your kind words have blessed me very much!

    Hey - any time you want to see the Dells *roflol* or be blown away by the wind - just let me know, Karin - I'll roll out the red carpet for you! (and weight it down with some boulders!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, that is one of my favorite verses. And I absolutely love your analogy... I did not know that the wind make the roots grow stronger. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, pfd =) and you are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Pam - glad you enjoyed it =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are becoming quite the philosopher, Kathy. So much truth in what you have said.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Carole. I often have thoughts like this - just decided that I would share them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails