Thursday, May 6, 2010

Taking some inspiration from my art journal!

It's time for Thursday's Thoughts - the day when I pause and recharge my creative side by browsing through my art journal.  I have taken all kinds of notes on projects I want to do and new techniques I want to explore.  So today - it's all about the process!

Now, most of the time, I am not a 'process person'.  If the process to get the end product requires a whole lot of steps, then I probably am not going to dive into it.  This process sounded interesting, though - so I am giving it a try.


I had enough fun with these little ACEOs that I will do this again.  Of course, they aren't done yet *lol* but most of the "waiting time" is done.

So what am I doing?  I saw this idea in two different books and the directions were just a little bit different.   So, naturally, I did my own thing =p

Here's the "process" ~
  • Tape your paper to a surface that can get wet.  Very wet!  Use watercolor paper for the best results.
  • Using gouache, paint your design with rather thick paint.  You can use one color or several colors.
  • Allow the gouache to completely dry.  No shortcuts here - if it isn't dry, it won't work.
  • Using water soluable ink, drip large drops of ink on the paper.  Use a brush to carefully smooth the ink over the surface.  One description said to use watercolor to do this part.  I found that the gouache lifted much more with the watercolor than it did with the ink.  I'm not dissatisfied with the result of the watercolor (so far) but the ink was definitely easier to handle in this part of the process.
  • Wait for the ink to completely dry.  No shortcuts here either!
  • Now that you have patiently waited for the ink to dry, go to your sink and run some warm water over the painting.  The ink will lift off of where the gouache is and will stain the rest of the paper.  Use a sponge to carefully lift the ink off.
  • Now.  Leave it alone and let it completely dry!

Okay - I am in the final drying process, and I am still thinking this was fun.  I used a 'trashed' piece of plexiglass as the support for this project.    I think that this little one has some definite possibilities - but, I will listen to my own advice and let it dry until morning *winks* and then we'll see what happens to it!

One really cool thing about this process is that you can lift as little or as much of the gouache as you want.  You can leave enough gouache to color the paper, or remove it all until you only have a very light ghost image.  After the paper is dry, you can go back and add paint, ink, or whatever you want - or leave it just as it is.  One thing that you need to remember is that the colors will be soft and more subtle after you wash the ink off.

This is a fun project!  If you don't have time to try it right now - go make a note about it in your art journal *winks* and start looking for a day to play *big smile*

Happy creating!
Blessings,
Kathy

4 comments:

  1. Wow this is a cool technique, thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun technique. I have been reading a book, "Journal Spilling" and there are techniques similar in it. I am getting ready to start my journal making, but want to start in a clean studio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FUN! That's what this adventure is, Kathy :D
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome, Lee!

    Oh, Marlene - that book sounds interesting!

    You are welcome, Pam - it is lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails