Sunday, May 16, 2010

Saying goodbye...


This week my family said goodbye to my Uncle Bob...  although, in a way, we had said 'goodbye' to him several years ago.

Uncle Bob had Alzheimer's.  He was often in his own world where memories and reality collided and blurred his once sharp mind.

Uncle Bob had a PhD and was a noted scientist at one time.  He was the fourth person in our family to have some kind of dementia and, each time we have watched disease whittle away at their minds until they died.

Where is the hope when this happens?  Four times over, I can say that it is in the words of Jesus:

Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me.  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.  And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

John 14: 1-3

May the Lord fill you with comfort and bless you today and always,
Kathy

15 comments:

  1. I am sorry for your loss. Alzheimer's is a horrible disease. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for your loss. It is never easy. I lost my last aunt this year. Only cousins left now. He looks like such a nice man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks everyone! I appreciate you stopping by =)

    Sympathies to you, too, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely tribute and uplifting comments as we face hard times xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tribute, Kathy. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember many little stories about your Uncle Bob as we were growing up. I am sorry for your loss, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Julie!

    Thank you, Lee =)

    Thank you, Karin - nice that you remember him, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry to hear about your Uncle Bob Kathy. Your faith keeps you so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Christine - The Lord is my rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Kathleen to hear of your uncle.
    You gave a lovely tribute...

    hugs
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Betty! I appreciate the comment and the hugs! Still getting caught up... sorry that I didn't comment sooner!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails