Thursday, May 20, 2010

More Journal thoughts...


Remember this little adventure in technique?

The entire process is described in my post, Taking some inspiration from my Art Journal!  Basically this is gouache and transparent watercolor which had a layer of watersoluable ink washed over the top.  After the ink is dry, then the entire painting is 'washed'.  You never know exactly what you will get when the artwork is washed!  There is a definite element of surprise when you create these paintings.

This started as a tree.  A very gnarly tree with some red apples on it.  But then it changed a bit...

When the ink was washed off, some of the gouache colors ran together.  This is one of the fun, unexpected 'happy accidents' that you get with this process.

When I looked at this little painting sitting sideways on my art table, I saw something completely different.  Now there was a lake and trees full of their Fall colors. 

It was fun to finish up my 'tree' this way!  I have another painting waiting for the ink to be washed off.  I wonder what it will turn into?

This 'process' will definitely go in my Art Journal.  I am sure I will be doing more of these because they are a great way to play between larger projects.  It's also a great way to get out of an artistic 'rut' because you don't know what it will be when it is finished.  Hope you try it out sometime - it was fun!

Have a creative day!
Blessings,
Kathy

PS  All of the directions and instructions are in my post, Taking some inspiration from my Art Journal!

5 comments:

  1. It turned out great. I haven't tried the process yet but I plan to, I just seem to have gotten really busy lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The page looks great. I have no idea what that 'g' word is but it sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you, Marlene - I love these little ACEO projects because I can create artwork (to restore my sanity =p ) in a much shorter amount of time! lol!

    NICO - Thanks! Gouache is an opaque watercolor =) It's fun to use to add hightlights (like some of the white sparkle on my horse manes) or bright flowers in a landscape. What's cool about it is that it 'rehydrates' with water like transparent watercolor does. That means that you can paint it thick and it will lift off or mix with whatever you put on top of it. *winks* gee - I think there might me a blog post in that!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails