Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Journal Adventure! Ummm... ***focus***

The first step for my journal adventure is to get a little ***focus***!  Exactly what do I want to do?  accomplish?  create?  with this art journal????  I have a vision for the first page ~ here it is in progress...
One of the first things that people are told to do when they start a business is to create a 'mission statement'.  A "What do you want to do and why?" statement.  It's a good idea for anything that you want to do because it will help you to focus on 'the main thing' and not get sidetracked along the way.

Like my big letters?  Nice and subtle, huh ;-)  And, no, I didn't draw them - they are from my little rubber stamp collection.  They are there because each letter is part of my Art Journal Adventure 'mission statement'.  Okay, here goes!

  • Jump start your day!  For me, that means that I spend some time in prayer where I unload my mind and get ready for the work of the day.  This time is often filled with lots of inspiration for new artwork, among a ton of other things!
  • One a day!  Make art a daily venture ~ either by creating a new painting, or working on an exhisting creation.  Even if it is only a doodle ~ do it!  Everyday!
  • Use new media, new ideas, new techniques!  Stretch yourself!  Explore!
  • Reach for perfection!  Dive into some great art books, seek out others to share the creative adventure with, take a class, get a critique ~ strive to improve! 
  • No ugly self-talk!  Hey ~ ugly self-talk is bad, no matter where it pops up!  Squash it!!!  Ahhhh ~ didn't that feel good???
  • Art Journal Adventure is all about 'art' and 'art' is all about everything!  Color outside of the lines and have fun!
  • Love what you do!  Exercise your passion ~ everything in an art journal doesn't have to be a masterpiece, but it should be a part of your personal passion.
Well, there is my start on my Art Journal Adventure!  Who knows where this will lead next *roflol* Stay tuned!

Blessings,
Kathy
 

7 comments:

  1. Nice! I like your layout and love the mingled colors in the washes. Looks like you've made a great start to it! I've been doing my watercolor journal differently ... but I think that's the point really. That a journal has to be that personal. I love seeing what others do, it gives me inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!
    I love that each letter has a meaning :)
    Can't wait to see more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great start Kathy, I have yet to start mine, some kind of block about it and I don't know why. I should reread you post about artist block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the self-talk. My mantra is No judgements, no criticism..Sometimes it works! Good luck on the Journal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, robersloan2art! I agree - just as with a written journal, each art journal is very personal. I like to see what others have done, too.

    Thanks, memories - I will be sharing more about my journal every week!

    Marlene - it took me a long time to start one. I think it's because it is so personal. I have some ideas and suggestions that will be posted here and on my fan page on facebook to give people ideas of where to start and what to do with an art journal. The main thing is, have fun with it!

    Thanks, dora - yep, that can be one of the most self-defeating thing we do to ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your art journal sounds cool, love the way you took the letters and did your mission statement!

    ~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Pam! I am really enjoying the adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails