Thursday, April 22, 2010

I remember.... Thursday's Thoughts

"Tell us about someone's memorable birthday. Yours, a friend's, a child's, a pet's, a family member's, etc. " was posted by Joey & Aleethea for the Etsy Bloggers Team blog carnival this week. 

A memorable birthday?  hmmmm....  How about a memorable birth-day?!  I could tell you about the day when Cynthia was born.  That was very memorable!  Does the fact that the nurse delivered her give you a clue?  *roflol*

How about the day that Mikayla was born?  I was there and it was incredible!

How about the huge birthday celebration that Cynthia and I had last fall where we celebrated a big "0" for her and for me?

Lots of milestones are attached to birth and to birthdays and rightfully so.  I think that's why I am enjoying the 'birth' of my journal.  It's a 'milestone' because I have wanted to create an art journal for quite a while, but I didn't know what to put in it.  I finally decided to create an art journal that has as its *focus* the search to find ways to feed my creative spirit and keep it active every day.  Sharing what I learn along the way with you is part of the joy of discovery!

One thing that I have discovered is that looking back through my older drawings is lots of fun.  I can see where I have improved, find some forgotten techniques that I want to explore further, and remember places and things that I want to incorporate into new artwork.  Of course, in the process of looking at forgotten artwork, I have found a lot of unfinished 'business' and half finished treasures.  *argh* what to do with them?

Well, here is what I am asking myself about each one -
  • Do I want to finish this?  (pile number one)
  • Do I want to use this as part of a collage?  (pile number two)
  • Is this suitable only for the recyling bin?  (stash in recycling)
  • Will my daughter cream me if I throw this away?  (pile number one)
'Pile number one' has grown, so now I will need to do a little sorting to see what gets finished first!  Yep, another set of questions -
  • Is this something I will sell?
  • Is this something I will keep?
  • Is this something I will give as a gift?  when?
  • Does this project have a deadline?
  • How much time will this take to finish?
  • Do I like it enough to finish it?
  • Am I sick of it?  Is 'pile number two' a possibility?  or do I need to make this go away permanently?

So, tell me, what do you do with those half-finished bits and pieces you have created?  Oh, please, don't tell me I am the only one with a pile of half done painting!  *roflol*  Somebody!  please! Happy creating (and sorting) and a very Merry Unbirthday to you all!
Blessings,
Kathy
 
PS  The little sketch is one I did of Mikayla in 2005.  She still loves to play with cameras!  It's called "Shutter Bug".

9 comments:

  1. Great drawing of your granddaughter.
    You are making me feel guilty about putting off getting into my studio and getting it organized. I have several unfinished projects, love your questions and will steal them to use when I finally get downstairs. I will be gone a few days but when I get back I'll begin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may change my name to UFOs Are Us! I do not have a pile of unfinished paintings, but I do have a pair of culottes that are made of vintage fabric that are not finished - actually the fabric was brand new when I started the culottes. And then there is the afghan that my Grandma and I worked on together back in the 70s - it just needs to be put together.......and I could go on and on. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - I started this series of blog posts because I have more than a few odds and ends all over the place! *roflol*

    No guilt, Marlene! Not allowed! hehe - just a little nudge *winks*

    Karin - I still have Cynthia's soft book that teaches you how to zip and button - all in pieces! I.will.finish.this.project! *roflol*

    ReplyDelete
  4. A pile?! A pile! I have PILES! and PILES!
    lovely drawing, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute sketch :)

    Don't think you're the only one with half-finished projects!!! I try to keep mine in boxes when I know I won't be getting to them for a while. That way they are out of the way and organized, but can easily be gotten out again :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW - are you organized! I usually "make" myself finish a piece of jewelry. If something breaks, I put it in a bag for deassembling. I usually put a handmade journal aside incomplete, if I'm unhappy with a book it.

    Great idea with the piles, and of course the art journal. I'll be traveling a lot next month... I need one of those! Now I have a new purpose for an unhappy journal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. *lol* Thanks, Splendid =)

    Thanks, memories =) I like the box idea, too. I just need to remember to label my boxes =p

    haha - well, story, I am working on being organized!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the sketch! Hope you get to finish some of your paintings!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails