Thursday, March 25, 2010

Watercolor for the Serious Beginner - a great little book!

I checked this book out of the library and found it to be really good!



There are wonderful illustrations and lots of demonstrations. The Suggested Exercises are really fun, too.

Towards the end of the book, the author (Mary Whyte), suggests that you form a 'personal vision' to help you know what to paint. I haven't done this yet, but it sounds like so much fun that I thought I would pass it on to all of you, too. Her suggestion is to 'paint from the heart' and she says that making a "Five Senses List" is a good way to find out where your heart is. What you do is list the five senses - taste, sight, sound, touch, and smell - in a small notebook and then list ten things in each category that really move you. Making this list personal to you is the key.

Once you have the list, you can see what things around you hold the most meaning for you. Basically, you may not want to paint those items - but something within them speaks to your heart. It could be the movement or the color that interest you and those are elements that you should put in your paintings.

Anyway, I am going to make myself a list - are you? Sounds like fun to me!

Blessings,
Kathy

11 comments:

  1. It does sound like a fun thing to do and it also sounds like it might just be the start of an art journal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a great book. I love watercolors, and just bought a little set for myself. Looks like it would be a lot of help! Need to search my library... maybe after my art festival! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does sound like fun...and very insightful! I think I'll give it a go!
    Smiles, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny that several of us from the team are talking about watercolors. I pulled out my ancient watercolor paper and played around for two days. What a great stress-reduction!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Marlene - that's a good idea =)

    Thanks, story - have fun!

    MrsKwitty - I thought so, too.

    NICO - I have an ancient set, too *winks* and I still love to pull that one out now and then =) Makes 'play time' even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an interesting book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is, Carole - I really enjoyed it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good book! Thanks for telling us about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book. I find her work very inspiring. I also found a copy in our local library but later purchased one of my own. The assignments/exercises are very good. It's a great resource. Enjoy! My dream is to take one of her workshops someday....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am really thinking about buying a copy of this book, too, Adventures! I agree with you - it is a great resource and I can see using the exercises repeatedly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails