Monday, March 22, 2010

Very messy, but very fun - charcoal drawings!

My grandmother often talked about her aunt who drew pictures of the 'kids' with charcoal from the fireplace.  Unfortunately none of her drawings have survived; however, Nana's story about her aunt always stayed with me.

Ahem.  It stayed with me enough that I have been hoarding little bits of charcoal from my wood stove.  This weekend, I got out some small pieces of charcoal and the girls and I tried it out.  It was lots of fun!

Mikayla really got into this project - with both hands...


...and quickly discovered that she could 'erase' her drawings!
This is drawing number (about) six...  She is fast *winks*
ummmm... and very........


MESSY!


Naomi did a drawing, too - erased a little bit, and decided that color and not quite as much 'dirt' was more fun.
She grabbed her crayons and a coloring book ;-)

(The bowl has some of the charcoal in it.)


I did a couple of VERY quick and rough sketches because I was curious how this charcoal would handle, too.  It was actually quite nice.  I did a little sketch of Mikayla - who was a moving target *rolls eyes* - and I found that the chunky pieces were a little tricky to use for tiny details like eyes.  They still worked if I had the time to move the chunk of charcoal around.  Ahem.  But not with my moving model *grins*.  This little cup came out a bit better.  I will definitely do more charcoal drawings with the bits and pieces of charcoal I have been hoarding.  It was lots of fun to use!

Have you ever tried this?  hehe - or are you going to hoard little charcoal bits and pieces now?  *winks*

Blessings,
Kathy

PS - see - we didn't JUST eat chocolate all weekend *laughs*

13 comments:

  1. It's still cold enough in the evenings to have a fire in our woodstove...so I may end up collecting for this project! My kiddos love making stuff & getting messy! This looks like it was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the little cup - but I am with Naomi! Give me nice clean crayons over messy bits of charcoal any time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you are having fun with the little ones. I tried charcoal (store bought) and decided it was just to messy or I was too messy as I had it everywhere. I will stick with nice clean pencils, crayons, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. June - it is very messy, but I thought it was a lot of fun =)

    Thanks, Karin *passes crayons and coloring book your way*

    Marlene - I actually like the texture of this better than the store bought charcoal. It is a bit more crumbly - definitely a messy project ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow this looks like a lot of fun, I've never tried charcoal. Your cup turned out great, wow I love how the charcoal looks. I think you should definitely try some more art with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great drawing :)
    I bet the kiddos had a blast with this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Pam - I really enjoyed working with the charcoal - hehe, mess and all!

    Thanks, memories =) We did have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun, Kathy. I always head to the studio when my granddaughter comes too. She loves art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both Mikayla and Naomi love to do all kinds of arts and crafts. It's a lot of fun to 'play' with them =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. fun! and, um, quite messy...which i suppose makes it that much more fun for the kiddo :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally true, TiLT - in this case I'm not sure who was the bigger kid ;-) me or the girls! lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails