Saturday, January 23, 2010

Virtual pARTy - a painting in 24 hours *whew*

This was lots of fun - and something that I have never done before.  I joined a Virtual pARTy.  What's a Virtual pARTy?  Well check out The Virtual pARTy Blog and you will find all the details.  Basically, an image is posted and anyone (yes - this means you!) who wants to join the pARTy downloads the image and does a work of art in any media using any or all of the photograph.  Here's the lovely photograph from Linda Shantz Equine and Animal Art that we used ~

 

The kicker is - you have to do the painting within 24 hours.  Okay - I am a sloooowwww painter... well, at least I thought I was!  Check this out ~

 
10:45 AM ~ blank water color paper...


 
11:30 AM ~ Okay, it's sketched in and ready to paint. 
Yes, I am working directly from my computer monitor.


 
11:45 AM ~ I'm laying in basic background washes - very loose and free with lots of water and lots of wet in wet technique.


 
12:40 PM ~ I have switched locations in my studio and I am using my old monitor now.  It's hooked up to my laptop, but it sits closer to the table where my paints are.  I like to work from the image on my computer screen because I can enlarge the image to paint the detail and then return to a full view when I want to see the whole image.


 
1:45 PM ~ birdie and baby are almost finished.  I hate the bushes.  *shrieks and whacks forehead*  More grass?  flowers?  what???  ack!  running out of time!  (ps, I hate the 'I hate this painting' stage =p  How about you? )


 
2:30 PM ~ *whew* rocks and flowers and grass...  and a bit more color in the mountains...  and a little sparkle on baby and birdie...  Yep!  I am now past the 'I hate this painting'!  I know that there are areas that I could add to and ones that I could refine a little bit ~ but I always say that.  I am one of those people who will just keep on painting until I wish I had stopped 30 minutes ago ~ so I make myself stop.  I am saying this one is 'finished'!


 
Would I join another Virtual pARTy?  You bet - this was fun!  I did kind of mix up the dates (hey - my internet was down and I couldn't check the blog!) so I thought I had another day *gasp*  Instead, I had to paint and post the image today =p  Because of that, I did do things a little differently...
  • I decided to focus on one horse instead of two or three horses like I had originally planned. 
  • I also decided to keep my image to a 5 x 7 inch finished size instead of the 9 x 12 inch size that I originally thought about. 
  • One additional thing that really helped me to do this quickly was that I painted it in my mind before I painted it on paper. 
Well, what do you think of my 'one day' painting?  It's all finished - except that this painting of our little baby and her birdie needs a name.  What do you think I should call this?  Help!
 
Hope you had a happy, creative day, too!   
Blessings,
Kathy
 
PS  Yep, the bird is in the original photograph - look on the left hand running horse - do you see that white spot on her hind leg?  That's our little birdie!

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful Foal, its always so interesting to see it immerge from the paper, thank you for sharing . Lindax

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job, Kathy! I love it. ♥

    My 13 year old daughter loves to paint, she learned at school and got awards last year. You may see her on Etsy someday! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say its beautiful and peaceful. You have so much talent!

    Name: Mid Summer
    Summers Whisper

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really do beautiful work! And on that kind of time restraint...awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Linda - I love to see the progress, too. It helps me to get past the 'I hate this artwork' when I look back at some other works in progress and see where they ended up. Of course there are still some of those others sitting around... =p

    Oooo! Be sure to let me know if she does, Anastasia! I would love to see her artwork =)

    Thanks, Tulips! I love the titles =)

    Thanks, Marlene - hope you are feeling better!

    Thanks, memories - I did feel a bit 'hectic' and I wasn't sure I could get it done and posted - lol - next time, I will pay closer attention to the due date =p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Painting! I like to paint--using watercolor--but space is limited right now, so I will stick to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw - thank you, Joy!

    hehe - Linda, you must be a MUCH neater seamstress than I am =p I can paint in a much smaller space than I can sew in *laughs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful! You did awesome as did all the participants =0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, LL =) Amazing collection of artwork - and so much variety from the same photo! Very fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails