Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Untangling the tinsel… Wednesday's Words

Are you old enough to remember your parents saying “Be careful with that tinsel or you will electrocute yourself” and knowing that they meant it? Now I spend quite a bit of time fighting static electricity in little wads of plastic tinsel… What a tangled mess!
Still, would I want to go back to the time when the tree lights got so hot that they burned my fingers and the Christmas trees got so crisp that the words ‘fire hazard’ were a major understatement? Well, maybe I would like to go back to part of it, but not all of it.

Our ‘back to basics Little House on the Prairie’ Christmas Celebration helped us all to focus on the simpler things of life. I think that’s what we really miss when we think back to ‘the good old days’ and want to return to those times. So, here are five ways that you can ‘untangle the tinsel’ and keep your life simpler all the time – not just around the holidays!

• Get moving. Don’t procrastinate. Procrastination produces stagnation and keeps us more busy because we spend all of our time trying to fix what we put off fixing because it got bigger and uglier when we didn’t fix it the first time so now we can’t possibly fix it now so we will get around to fixing it maybe next week… maybe… Get moving! Take care of it now. If you do, I guarantee your life will be much simpler.

• Get doing. Wait, I thought we were supposed to be simplifying... Yeah, but that doesn’t mean that we should simply sit in a rocker and *zone*. Do some gardening this Spring, cook things from scratch that you usually buy in a box, make a simple gift for someone, or take a walk instead of watching TV. Simply put: tend to business not busy-ness.

• Get resting. Now we’re talking! Yeah. Do you remember what sleep is? How come we stay up to midnight and get up early and then wonder why we are sick and tired and feel like a mud slide gone south? Duh. Try getting some sleep. Things will look much simpler when you do that.

• Get munching. But munch good stuff! Remember to plant stuff that you like in your garden and then cook a new recipe from scratch that is healthy and yummy. Hey – even I can do that *winks* The better you eat, the more energy you will have and the simpler life will be.

• Get praying. Yeah – I did say that! The moment that I realized that God was bigger than me and all of my problems, and that He had everything under control, my life got a lot simpler. Don’t get me wrong – lots of ‘stuff’ still comes my way, but dealing with it all is a whole lot simpler with God in my court.
Okay – there are some ideas from me – how about some ideas from you? How do you go about making your life simpler? Post your suggestions in the comments – and feel free to post any links to your blog posts about simplifying your life, too. We all can use all the hints, suggestions and Words of Wisdom about keeping our lives simpler. Thanks!
Blessings,
Kathy

4 comments:

  1. Kathy wonderful Blog!! Oh I can see my little grandma in her garden that was 1000 times bigger than her doing it all by hand, with her little bonnet on, thinking nothing of it when was young, but now I look back and think omg, how did she do that, then she was go into her little house, can all of that stuff with no air, hot house!! Sew on a peddle sewing machine, sit on her front porch and peel apples to dry!! Me and my older sister has decided that SIMPLIFIY is our new word!! We are so tired of the rat race!! Please check out my new blog that I have started just for me and maybe to help others
    www.lisasbetterlife.blogspot.com Thanks so much for your wonderful words and help to bring back the memories. and Yes God is in all control!! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, I try to put things away where they belong after I am done with them as it is just "simpler" that way, only it never works in my craft room (lol), also I go with if if works, don't fix it. And of course I let God handle a lot as he is much smarter than me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Pam!

    Lisa - thanks so much for sharing! What wonderful memories of your grandmother =) Very fun to read about them!

    Marlene - aha! Those are really good ideas =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails