Saturday, December 19, 2009

The simple country life... or is it?

Ah, the simple pleasures of country life! 


It's so nice to pull my chair up to the hearth and grab a good book and a cup of hot chocolate.  It's a great way to end a simple country day.

Over the years, I have simplified several aspects of my life.  I enjoy my days outside taking care of the critters and doing work in the garden.  I have mentioned that I would rather watch my chickens than watch TV - and it's very true.  I don't have cable TV.  I don't even have a TV that you could hook up to any cable service.  I do watch movies, but usually only when I am riding my exercise bike.  I don't have caller ID.  I kept answering the 'unknown caller' because I was curious who it was.  Even my computer is a moderate and slightly old laptop and my internet is a bit slow since there is no DSL out here.

There are, however, some things that I really like to have.  Electricity.  Yeah, and having the back up gas heat is very nice.  Oh, yeah.  and water.  Yeah.  it would be nice to have runing water in the house right now.

I am guessing that my well pump has expired...  Not a happy thing.  I didn't like turning the tap on and getting nothing.  Lots of nothing.  Not even a drip.  *sigh*  Having lived on a well for many years, though, has taught me to be prepared.  All the livestock tanks are topped off every day.  I have six gallons of water stashed in the house.  And the neighbors will gladly supply me with any water I may need.  So, that relegates this to a minor inconvenience and not a catastrophe.  Monday (yeah, I am too cheap to call the well guys today and pay for weekend rates!) I will call and see who can come and fix this.

In the meantime, my thoughts will turn to the many women and children in third world countries who will get up and walk four, five, even six hours just to get enough clean water for one day.  The next day, they will do the same thing again.  and again.  and again.  Yeah, I am totally not going to whine about this at all because I am usually blessed with clean, good well water from my tap.

Now the refrigerator - that's another matter.  Not so happy about the temperature climbing inside there *rolls eyes*  Merry Christmas to me - a new fridge?  *sigh*  Of course I usually do have a fully functional refrigerator complete with a nice selection of food and the electricity to keep it working.  I don't think that those women who are carrying all that water even think about refrigerators...

Maybe my life isn't as simple as I think it is.  I am suddenly feeling enormously rich.  Indeed!  How about you?

Blessings,
Kathy

15 comments:

  1. Kathy, sorry to hear you are having pump problems. We are also on a well and there are times (and we have had them)that you really appreciate your kind neighbors. Good luck with well and fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marlene - hopefully it will be an easy and not too expensive fix!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great attitude about it. I've been to Cambodia and Peru where people really are dirt poor and we live a life of supreme luxury in comparison.

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Kathy, I am praying that his can all be resolved quickly and as inexpensively as possible.

    I so glad you mentioned those in other places who have no clean water-ever, and no refrigeration-ever.
    You have such a great and sincere love and appreciation for what God has blessed you with.

    I am proud to be your sister and friend.

    Merry Christmas to you and yours Kathy. May God continue to pour out His blessings on you abundantly!

    xoxo, Daff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very true, Sue. My daughter went to Africa many years ago - it was eye opening for both of us!

    Thank you Daff - I so appreciate your prayers =) The Lord has richly blessed me - especially with such good friends like you! Merry Christmas to you and your family, too =) May God richly bless you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am feeling so filled up!

    What more can be said Kath than has already been said?

    Even though I don't "know" you, I sure am blessed that you've come full steam ahead into my life. I think of you often, you give me the inspirations to be a better person who also is working to live more simply.

    Blessings,

    ~Lily

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're right...life in the country is so nice!
    It is important to put things into perspective sometimes isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes, we are lucky when are utilities are working and have clean running water. Good neighbors are a blessing, too. {:-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am rich! Oh so rich! ridiculously, fully, overwhelmingly rich!
    Do I appreciate it? I am trying. I am trying to be more appreciative daily of all I have. I am being blessed and have so much for which to be grateful.
    wishing good running tap water back into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww...

    Sorry for the no water! I hope that by the time you read this comment your water is back on!

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw *blushes* Thanks, Lily =) That really lifts my spirits!

    Perspective definitely helps, memories!

    Very true, story =)

    Thank you, Splendid! I, too, feel very rich and blessed!

    Thank you, Joy - tomorrow I call the 'well guys' - until they get here I am still 'camping' lol!

    Thank you all for the encouraging words =) You have blessed me very much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very simple, hope you can fix your well and your fridge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is very well written Kathy....coming from an old English teacher. I always get a kick out of your adventures.

    I hope you get your water back soon and your electricity. That can be miserable. I know I have suffered through it having experienced several hurricanes....but did not have to deal with the cold too.

    Yes, we are blessed in America...no doubt about it. I just hope our America is still here in a few years.

    On a happier note.....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ack! Hurricanes, Carole??? *can't shiver - too scared!*
    I am really glad that I have the electric and the heat =D Turning the well on and off isn't that big a deal and I can probably get it fixed after Christmas.

    Indeed we are blessed - but people need to be aware of our blessings and to protect them, too! Good point!

    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails