Okay, here's a hint ~ she was a grandma.
Need another hint? She once said "If I hadn't started painting, I would have raised chickens."
One more hint? (though I am SURE that you all know who she is by now!) She began her painting career at the age of 76 years old.
Okay - here's the answer ~
Now here's a few 'snippets' that you may not have known...
- She began painting because her arthritis forced her to give up embroidery.
- She sold her first paintings in a drug store for $2.00 to $5.00.
- She painted over 1,000 pictures, twenty-five of them after she had passed her 100th birthday.
- In 2006 "Sugaring Off" (1943) sold at auction for $1.2 million (according to wikipedia).
- She died at the age of 101 years old and she painted almost every day up until a couple of months before her death.