Sunday, November 1, 2009

Never too late to stART!

Do you know who this is?



Okay, here's a hint ~ she was a grandma.

Need another hint?  She once said "If I hadn't started painting, I would have raised chickens."

One more hint?  (though I am SURE that you all know who she is by now!)  She began her painting career at the age of 76 years old.

Okay - here's the answer ~





 
Grandma Moses!
 
 
 
 


Now here's a few 'snippets' that you may not have known...
  • She began painting because her arthritis forced her to give up embroidery.
  • She sold her first paintings in a drug store for $2.00 to $5.00.
  • She painted over 1,000 pictures, twenty-five of them after she had passed her 100th birthday.
  • In 2006 "Sugaring Off" (1943) sold at auction for $1.2 million (according to wikipedia).
  • She died at the age of 101 years old and she painted almost every day up until a couple of months before her death.
What an amazing woman!  Does that make you want to go create something, or what?!  Check out her obituary in the New York Times for some more interesting details of the life of Anna Mary Robertson Moses ~ and then go grab a brush (or whatever!) and let your creative juices flow.  After all, if she were here, that is exactly what she would tell you to do!

I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
Philippians 4:13
Holy Bible

Blessings,
Kathy

9 comments:

  1. One of my all time favorites! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing to see into the lives of people that we have heard about - the little 'snippets' of who they are and what they accomplished are sometimes incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occured to me she has a full name... what an inspiring story/woman. Amazing how the price of her works skyrocketed. I've always enjoyed seeing her paintings.

    My grandmother lived until 5 months before her 100th bday... she was very important to my life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what an awesome story! Very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, memories!

    Tulips - how cool! My grandmother was 98 and she taught me lots of fun things. I found the pricing of her artwork facinating, too!

    I agree, Pam - tehe - she was a few years older than me when she started painting. Guess I have no excuces =p

    Thanks, Carole - glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I never realized she was that old when she started...or that she painted until the end :)
    ...off to go get creative :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. tehe - TiLT - inspiring isn't it! I knew that she had started painting late, but I didn't realize how long she kept painting. Certainly makes me want to get up and get painting! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts with Thumbnails